1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adult Chicken missing a middle toe

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marilynn, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Marilynn

Marilynn Just Hatched

Sep 13, 2016
    My Adult Black Star is missing a middle toe. She came to me from my daughter like this. My Reds picked on her and I moved her till she was a little bigger and the sore healed. Well I noticed the other night she does not roost? Is this going to be a big problem? She shares a 10 X 10 pen with a high board under part of the roost with two other Young Adult Chickens. This board has a large egg box and she sleeps just outside the box. Will she ever roost?
    Marilynn

2. Marilynn

Marilynn Just Hatched

Sep 13, 2016
    Opps. The sore is not her toe, that was healed when I got her. The Reds pecked a spot at the base of her tail. It is healed, but the new feathers have not come in yet.
    Sorry
    Marilynn

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    No problem. Glad she is recovering! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor girl. I think she would get better & stay that way, if she was kept away from your Reds , I'm guessing RIR's. I've heard they can be aggressive. I don't think they will stop bothering her - it would be best if you could have her with some docile breed(s)

5. Marilynn

Marilynn Just Hatched

Sep 13, 2016
    Will she ever roost. Right now she has a Red and a Bard Rock for friends. This is the pen I put my new birds and sick one.
    Marilynn

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I don't think she would be able to roost. The middle toe provides a lot of support to the foot. It isn't bad that she can't roost, I have hens that are almost four years old and never roost.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  7. Marilynn

Marilynn Just Hatched

Sep 13, 2016
    Where do they sleep at. I put a dog house in the pen and filled it full of pine shavings and they all go in there and play around, but never sleep there. I need to take my rabbit cage out of that pen and then that board will be gone.
    Marilynn

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Birds with toe issues such as missing or deformed toes may never roost. This doesn't hurt them, although they can end up pretty yucky if they sleep under the roosts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by