1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adult Chicken with apparent dislocated leg/hip

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Todd227, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Todd227

Todd227 New Egg

Sep 21, 2015
    Hello,

I have an adult hen with an apparent leg/hip. I noticed the problem about 4 days ago. Her leg sticks straight out in front of her and lays flat on the ground. She is unable to put any weight on it. I moved her to a bunny hunch to isolate her from the rest of the chickens. She will let me pick her up and tuck the leg underneath her into the correct position. However, as soon as she tries to move anywhere the leg ends up sticking straight out.

I'm not sure what if anything can be done for her? Should I try and pop her leg/hip back into the socket? Again, I'm not 100% sure this is the problem. I'm worried I will hurt her worse be trying.

If anyone has any suggestion on how I can properly diagnose the problem and what treatment if any I should attempt, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you,
    -Todd

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Can you send a pic?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    First of all, welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us, though wish it were under better circumstances!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Any chance you could take her to the vet? It is often difficult to treat something if you don't know exactly what you are dealing with.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post in detail, with photos at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. But again it doesn't take the place of a vet examination and diagnosis. Sometimes you need your hands to feel the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by