Adult chickens and chicks.

Denisejmdk

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 6, 2015
Florida
I am purchasing a a second chicken coop that is coming with 3 chickens
I don't know what they are. with a large one that I can walk into. I am going to set that chicken coop with the nesting boxes in the run next to where I am keeping my chicks. If I keep them separated for a couple months until the chicks grow up do you think they would eventually accept the chicks chickens?

The is a picture of the chickens coming with the coop.

If they can see each other they will get used to and more readily accept each other when the time comes to integrate them. Wait until the chicks are about fully grown first though.

How old are the chicks? How many chicks are there? Standard breeds or bantams?

Are the chicks allowed access to an outdoor run? How large is it? How large will the new coop be? How many square footage total in all outdoor space, and how many square footage in indoor spaces?

It's possible to house the chicks within view of the three adult hens as long as there's plenty of space and you have a secure pen for the chicks. If the chicks are at least three weeks old, after a one week period of adults and chicks getting to know one another, small chick size openings can be created to allow the chicks access to the adult run. This way the chicks can access the entire run with the adults while having a safe pen to run back to where food and water are kept separate from the adults so chicks don't need to compete for them.

All adults and chicks should be fed the same feed until the chicks come to point of lay. You can feed the adults chick crumbles or feed chicks and adults an all flock feed.

Back
Top Bottom