Adult chickens and the duck kiddie pool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skirbo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Okay, so I've got my 10x10x6 dog kennel/coop set up and am expanding it this weekend to 30x10x6. Six hens (got my first egg the other day, too!) and one roo. And I am picking up 8 muscovy ducks this weekend, also.

Before I put a kiddie pool in the coop for the muscovy, I wanted to be sure the chickens (all adults) aren't likely to fall in it and drown. So I wanted to throw the idea out there for you guys to give me the benefit of your experiences.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I've had a kiddie pool in for my mixed flock all summer without any issue. The chickens avoid the pool whne the ducks are in it and only drink out of it occasionally.

Make sure you place your pool where you can dump it daily without drenching your run. Ducks will make into into a sewer pool in a few hours.

3. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Thanks for the info! And I'm fortunate in that my coop is built at the edge of a steep slope, which puts my yard about ten feet above the road it is next to. So, the pool water is just going to go down the slope into the existing drainage ditch.

Thanks again,
    Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by