1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adult Chickens Temps

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robmurr5, Jan 11, 2017.

1. robmurr5

robmurr5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Hello, I just became a member, but have been using this site, for about 3 years. I've been searching for a particular chicken question, and cannot find the answer anywhere. Hence, I am hoping someone can help me.
    I had 2 Adult Hens badly injured, to the point of having to isolate them. They have been in my laundry room, for about 2 weeks now. The temperature is about 60-65 degrees, in the room they are staying in. Now, they are healed enough to be in with the other Hens, but, how do I acclimate them to the huge change in temperatures? In the evenings, it has been dropping, to below 0. We have a large coop in our barn, which is insulated. This is the same one they were in before. I read that to acclimate them to the Hens, again, I should keep them in a wire kennel for a few days, inside of their coop. Sorry I'm still "talking", but if anyone has any experience, articles, or suggestions, that would be extremely beneficial.
    Thank you All!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

FIRST: Chickens have higher body temperatures than people, so they can deal with colder temps than we can. Just because you think it's really cold, doesn't always mean that they are cold. Just so you know [​IMG] Fun fact: A chickens internal body temp should be 104 degrees F.

What is the temp in the coop? As long as it's above freezing, they should be fine. Definitely keep them in a wire kennel, so they can reintigrate. Since they've been gone for so long, there will be some re-arranging of the pecking order, and some of the younger girls may try to move up in the ranks.

Hope this helps, and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes, I would highly recommend keeping them in a wire kennel in the coop with the other hens for a week or so. Its very possible that the other hens will pick on them if they are just put back into the flock. Since these two have been gone the flock pecking order has been rearranged. So these two will have to work their way back up the ranking form the bottom to their prior/new position.

As far as the temp goes you should be fine. If they seem to not be readjusting or your just in general worried about them you can bring them back in the house the first couple nights before leaving back out fulltime.

4. robmurr5

robmurr5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    The temp in the coop, is 25-30 degrees. I don't use any heat source, and they are doing well. I will use the wire kennel idea, but am still wondering how I should acclimate them. There is a large temp. drop, and I heard that could kill them.

5. robmurr5

robmurr5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank You for your help. The only articles I could find, said they had to slowly get used to the differences in temps, but it didn't say how.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I respectfully have to disagree. Your chickens have been at 60-65 degrees for 2 weeks now. Your outside temperatures are at 0 or below. Even with their amazing down and feather jackets, I think that is just too great a temperature difference, and especially for birds who will be stressed out by another relocation and have been recovering from injuries. You'll also have the added issue of integrating them back into the flock, which is stressful for both them and the other chickens. So just taking them out and letting them get deal with the cold without some kind of preparation and being accepted back into the flock at the same time is really asking a lot.

If you have a garage or a shed you can keep them in, with just a little bit of supplemental heat for a week or so, that might help. You could then gradually reduce the amount of heat until they are going without all day long and just getting a little bit during the night. Also if you have a "warm spell" coming on, that would also be the ideal time to try to reintegrate them into the flock and the outside.

I do agree that putting them within some kind of wire enclosure where they can see and be seen but not touched is the best way to get them back in there. When I am raising chicks out there right with the adults but safely isolated within their wire enclosure, I also run a line of scratch along the edge of the pen, some on the run or coop side and some inside the enclosure, right at the point where the two meet. The chickens get used to feeding head to head, which helps tremendously. They each have access, but can't hurt each other over feeding territory, and soon they are eating peacefully together without even realizing it. I got that tip from someone here on BYC (I wish I could remember who so I could give them proper credit for it) and it's been so helpful with integration.

I wish you all the luck in the world. You did a good job saving those two chickens! And a warm welcome to BYC!

Edited: Doggone it! I have to remember to see that "unread posts" at the bottom of the page. <sigh> I overlapped some of my response and posted it after your added information. Oh, well, I'm too lazy to retype so please excuse me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on Blooie's comments...I think a gradual adjustment to the colder temps would be the safest, least stressful way to go.

It's nice to have you join us, best wishes!

8. robmurr5

robmurr5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!
    Blooie,
    Your answer was perfect, and now I feel confident, in this endeavor. You were thorough, and helped me with the issue, of extreme temp changes and integrating back into the flock. I'd read some articles, that said, they don't need time to become accustomed to the drastic weather, but it didn't feel right to me. The best idea, is to probably put them into the oversized metal tub that I have. There's room for perches, and I feel safe using heat lamps in it. Thanks so much, and if you have any comments on this, please feel free to share them.

I'm already loving this site!

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    My dad used to tell us that no answer is perfect unless it works! [​IMG] You could still run into problems with this, but if you're prepared you'll be better able to handle them, I think. One thing I would advise most strongly....be careful with the heat lamp!! Secure it, secure it, and then when you think it's secured, secure it some more. Use a smaller wattage bulb - they don't need the highest power, just enough to take the edge off the bitter cold for a short time. And after you put a smaller bulb in there, secure it again! [​IMG] There have been 4 reports of coop fires just here on BYC in the past month, all of which were caused by heat lamps. With your chickens being older, they could very well fly right into it, so please, use your common sense, and use the heat for as short a time as possible. Personally I detest the things and simply will not have one, but your situation is so much different that unless you have a Sweeter Heater or something similar I don't see where you have a lot of choice.

Keep us posted on how they do! And again, a warm welcome to BYC. Oh, and just a hint...for most things that come up, there's a very handy search box up there at the top. Type in what you're looking for, and you'll get a lot of links. I use the stuffin' out of that feature! [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Rob [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and winter is not something I am familiar with [​IMG] I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Good luck with your girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by