Adult chickens via USPS?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Scratchn By, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Does anyone know if it is possible to send roos or hens via fedex, usps, ups, etc.? If so, how do you pack'em?[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can send them by USPS. You have to have special boxes and it's expensive to ship them.

3. Scratchn By

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Ok! Now I see them in Cutler's supply catalog. Around $25 a pop... I'll call the PO. Thanks!

4. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Yes that is the way I got my roo USPS. It is expensive and worth it only if you want a special bird for some reason. There are rules and processes in place to ship live birds. You must use an approved box, certain post ofices can't ship birds etc. Look up shipping birds on the USPS site.

Put into the box a snack of juicy fruit to eat and provide some fluid on the trip a few little melon bites or grapes are good.

5. Scratchn By

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Great info! I'm sure the chicken will apprciate it! [​IMG] And me! Thanks!

6. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    I have a whole case of USPS shipping boxes if anyone need some
    single nest and 4nest are the sizes I have

7. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks, I might need one or two boxes eventually I'll keep you in mind if that is ok? Oh and when I re-read my post I realized I wasn't clear. Water will spill and cause problems. That is why the fruit. It provides a certain amount of sugar and water to tide the birds over without creating a soggy mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by