Adult drake eye infection

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
One of my runners has what looks an awful lot like an eye infection; pale green goop on the inside corner of both eyes, one more than the other. Anything I can do to help him heal up? He's also a bit tattered in the wing and tail feathers, I think from our other drake :/

I had a hen with a sunken eye from what was most likely infection. We put saline in a syringe and flushed out her eye. We used @Eggcessive 's recipe for the saline. I can't recite it from memory, but I'm sure Eggcessive can! Our hen's eye is completely healed now. Your case might be different, though, because your duck's eye isn't sunken. Good luck!

20180509_201736.jpg
20180509_201731.jpg
The goop either was or appeared more fluid when I got home from work a couple hours ago. We ran some warm saline over both eyes.
20180509_201747.jpg

The bend of his wing; this is new damage
20180509_201754.jpg
His poor wing feathers are all chewed up and broken. They were pretty tattered last year too, but nowhere near this bad!
20180509_201803.jpg

And now his tail feathers are getting ratty as well

20170617_155422.jpg

This is him last year, with our other drake who we suspect is doing the damage. We have 9 hens for them (had 11; lost 2 to predator birds) but they don't seem to be sharing well :(

Attachments

• 20180509_201731.jpg
    20180509_201731.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 4
I'd separate the drakes with their own females to keep this one from being picked on continually if that is an option. Saline rinse is good and if that doesn't clear it up go with Terramycin eye ointment. Vetericyn also makes an eye solution.

ACV in drinking bucket is good also 1-2 tab. to 1 gal of water.

I would definitely try to separate into two flocks. I’m pretty concerned about the condition of the rest of his body moreso than the eye. He seems to be in pretty poor health. I would keep him away from any other drakes until he can get back up to weight and regrow his feathers. Once he’s healthy, I bet the eye issue will fix itself. Poor guy, that hurts my heart they are doing that to him.

We talked it over last night, and we're going to try to find a new home for one of the drakes. We don't really have a good way to keep the flock separated long term while still keeping everyone safe and happy, and Azula deserves a better life than Zuko is letting him have. I had thought that adding more females with solve the feather chewing problem, but it clearly hasn't. In the meantime, we're going to work on clearing up the eye, and maybe see if we can't get him set up in a healing pen

Thanks for your help, everyone

Back
Top Bottom