adult drake with droopy wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shaft0463, Dec 9, 2010.

1. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I have 7 or 8 ducks (can't remember, would have to go count), and one of the two drakes has a droopy wing. He's about 9 months old, just one wing is droopy. He's also a bit lethargic. He still follows the flock out to free-range, just doesn't follow as quickly. He eats, just not with as much excitement. No feather loss, no changes in diet, and none of the other ducks are sick. We did lose another drake right before Thanksgiving, but the symptoms were different. That one couldn't walk at all, and appeared like he had a neck injury. He also still are and drank, was still very alert, just couldn't walk.

Any ideas? He's not gotten any better or worse since I noticed this a few days ago, and he doesn't appear to have lost weight. I've not noticed any unusual poop or anything.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you looked under his wing to see if there might be a wound? Ducks are pretty hardy. Also with all the feathers they have could even have an injury on the top part or possibly got it caught on something? Might be a good idea to put in in a smaller area so he doesn't have contact with the others till you know for sure it's nothing catching. And give him his own food and water and rest and see how he does. As far as meds. Before giving him anything I would call a vet or read up on whats best for ducks because they are sensitive to meds. Hopefully someone with experience with this can help. I've not had to deal with it in my ducks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I've checked for wounds, and he doesn't appear to have any. I'll look again though.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    there are alot of duck people that can give you some guidance hope they come on soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by