Adult duck and baby ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rouenduck87, Mar 17, 2018.

1. rouenduck87

rouenduck87 In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I was just wondering I have a one year female Rouen duck and I put my 3week old ducklings in the coop with her she Seems fine with them not being aggressive but did notice she is plucking the babies and pulling the ducklings fuzz out and have some bald spots what does this mean and what should I do thanks for input

2. That seems to be a little aggression to me, she's showing who's the top duck. Maybe let your ducklings grow up just a little more before introducing them? Is she chasing them at all? The bald spots worry me, that has to hurt.
    I have an Indian Runner who lost his whole flock this winter, I'm raising four ducklings and they are currently a month old. But I won't introduce them at least another month or so.
    Maybe someone else will have better advice, I'm not the most intelligent with Ducks.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. rouenduck87

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan

4. rouenduck87

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    She is not chasing them just caught her once so far nibbling at them so I assume that’s why the bald spots are there

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  5. Okay, maybe just keep a close eye on them and make sure she isn't causing sores or cuts on the babies. :thumbsup

6. rouenduck87

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Okay thanks appreciate it and the info

HuskerHens18 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: