Adult duck survived cat attack but can't move neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Martressa, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Martressa

Martressa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    [​IMG]My year old duck was attacked by a stray cat 5 days ago and he has not been able to move his neck since. He has been drinking when i hold water up to his bill but hasn't eaten much. He doesn't seem to be in much pain and has been following his flock around the yard the last few days. He's even gotten into the kiddie pool and tried to dunk himself a bit but his mobility is so limited its kind of sad to watch him try. I'm wondering if other people have had experience with this kind of thing and seen them regain strength in their neck. If the damage is permanent and he will never be able to feed himself then i don't want to have him suffering like this any longer. Any advice or stories would be appreciated. 

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Martressa

Martressa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    Pat has recovered excellently and almost has full range of motion in his neck again. I wanted to put the good news out even though no one replied in case someone has an incident like this later and finds this post. I really didn't think he'd be recover this well, It's amazing how resilient they are. I had to feed & water him for a week or more, spray him with Blukote and give him some extra TLC but it was def worth it to have my little Patty back :) I love my ducks

3. hmwalz

hmwalz New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    Hello. I have the same situation. Her neck seems swollen and flops down if extended. She is drinking by hand but not eating. I'm going to get bluekote today. I've been cleaning it and applying an antibacterial and coconut oil. Any more suggestions would be great. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by