Adult Duck with what appears to be leg cramps

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Morning, duckworld,

I have been dealing with something I have never seen before. I am not panicked, and at the same time want to share what's going on to tap into the brain trust here and provide an archive reference to this for anyone else who may experience it.

Twice now in the last month or so, Rowena - our 2 year old BEI girl - has been trotting along as normal, then suddenly flopped on her belly, left leg curled up. I won't go into the details of how that wrenches my gut to see her like that. But it did and it does.

So.

Treatment: hydrotherapy (tub of lukewarm water deep enough for her to float), and peas with 100 to 150 mg of calcium citrate powder for treats.

Result: within an hour, she's not only back on her feet, but she is revved up and ready to go.

Current thoughts: might be related to her first year of life with inadequate nutrition, might be an egg pressing on a nerve.

Current plan: provide some electrolytes in drinking water overnight for the whole flock - won't hurt everyone else - once a week. Considering giving her an extra 100 mg or so of calcium during the week, perhaps two doses of 50 each. She only weighs 2 pounds.

Her last episode was about three or four days ago, she's still going strong, laying every day, happy, got that sparkle in her eye, still poking the Runners in the butt every chance she gets.

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I hope she gets over this very soon....:) You take amazing care of your QUACKBURBZ!:thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Could it be vitamin E deficiency?

4. elenas farm

elenas farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Thomasville, NC, 27360
    Ducks, geese need niacin for their legs, I use Flock Raiser pellets or crumbles for babies.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the responses. @elenas farm - she is a rescue, so since I took her in I have worked to give her the best nutrition I can - New Country Organic Layer, no-corn, no-soy feed and/or Mazuri Breeder feed, with some extra calcium on a regular basis. I don't know if a B vitamin boost is needed, but I don't think it would hurt.

We have had her for about a year and a half, now, and this is the first time I have seen this.

She has been laying for a couple of months. She will take a couple of months off, then lay for a couple.

@dotknott - hmmm, that is also a possibility. I will see if I can find dosage recommendations on the E.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by