Adult ducks keep attacking my younger ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brendeezy, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Brendeezy

Brendeezy Hatching

Jun 4, 2019
    I have two Pekin ducks that are about 16 weeks old, and I have two Muscovy ducks about seven weeks. The pekin ducks keep sitting on and pecking at the little ones wings. Why is this happening ?

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    When I have ducks picking on each other, I separate them in a look—don’t touch” setup so that they can see and acclimate to one another without getting into a pattern of picking on each other or compromising the safety of any of them. I’m guessing there is a size difference between the pekins and muscovies, which may be a factor. As the ducks get older and closer in size, I would give them supervised time together for increasing periods of time, but would separate again if there was significant picking on behavior. I had to do this when introducing new ducks to my flock. It took a few days, but all of mine were full grown and about the same size.

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  3. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    I experienced the same with my flock ( 3 adult females & 5 ducklings). When the ducklings were about 6-7 weeks old they started to develop their blood feathers on their wings. This attracted the other ducks to them and there was a lot of pecking and on two instances - blood! This only lasted a few days and as the blood feathers grew quickly - was soon over. If this is the same for yoh, then just check wings and separate if you see any blood. I hope this helps.....

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: