Adult flocks pecking on younger flock need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoseZubal, Oct 19, 2014.

1. RoseZubal

RoseZubal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2013
    Hello all I need some advise! We have tried everything with no luck now my husband wants to lock up older flock in coop away from younger flock. I'm not hot on this idea because they can't be outside. But we don't know what else to do they peck at the young ones. We tried the seperater in coop and run and then try them all together and then they are back at pecking. We tried the free range with all of them and then when they get close enough they start pecking at them again. Anyone have any more ideas?

2. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Some flocks are sweet and friendly with new younger newcomers to a flock. I have had FEW pens that would accept new or younger birds!!!!!! The trial of separation by wire, so they could see the new ones has NEVER worked for my birds (and I have new hatches during the year, various ages.) They seem to "JUST WAIT until we can get you!" and even after some weeks, will NOT accept new birds to the flock. They are kept from food and water, harassed, pecked, chased, and harmed.

What do I do? Divide my houses into pens for each age group and have outside pastures that are fenced for each group. Sell older birds as the younger ones come into production. . Or keep trying and sometimes they WILL integrate. Be grateful if you never have the problem--many do not have any trouble. Space is part of the success--lots of space and multiple feeders so all can eat whenever they choose! You are their owner and manager, so GOOD LUCK.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    I hope something works I don't want to separate them for ever! :(

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Please tell us the age of the younger chickens. This has direct bearing on the solution to your problem.

5. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    The younger chickens are 6 months old

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    They're pretty much the same size as the older flock. That actually makes things a bit harder, but the good news is you aren't going to have to put up with this level of conflict for very long. Now, please tell us how many are in the younger group. How many are in the older group?

7. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    I hope not! I have three older flock and three 6 month chickens. All Hen hens except one rooster and he's one of the 6 month babies.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're very, very fortunate in that the two age groups are even matched in number. That's a huge part of the battle right there.

Other than making certain that all of the flock have plenty of space with no dead ends or obstacles where a youngster can get boxed in and severely beat up before they can escape, you really only need to wait until the youngsters find their confidence to stand up to the older hens. It should happen soon.

9. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    We have the Oder flock and younger flock in the same coop by they have their own area, we split it in half with a fence. During the day we have the younger ones in the run and the older ones in the coop. Is this a good move? Any suggestions?

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's what I would do. In fact, I have four, next-to-the-youngest, in a run by themselves because they're such little thugs, they beat up and torture the rest of fourteen chickens.

Since your three are young and it's possible for them all to adjust to a workable pecking order, why don't you try giving them time each day together so they have the opportunity to work things out? It would make life easier on everyone if they did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by