Adult Gander has droopy wings, what causes this?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Iangillan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Iangillan

Iangillan New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I noticed last night that one of my ganders had an unusual posture and that his wings are drooping, I've attached a couple of pictures. He is about 18 months old and is showing no other signs or symptoms, at one level I'm not terribly concerned as he is his normal aggressive self but I can't find any info about similar symptoms. I did se some stuff about 'Angel Wing' but I get the impression that is more of an issue with goslings?

I'd be grateful for any information or suggestions as to what the problem is or what is causing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    That's not Angel Wing...and you're correct... Angel Wing is a problem in younger birds. My geese will droop their wings sometimes in response to stress. Like extreme heat, or if they've been is a fight or during molt...but it doesn't last more than a day or two. If he has no other symptoms, is eating and drinking normally and is other wise OK, I would just keep an eye on him and try not to worry too much. If his condition worsens in any way, please re-post and I'm sure there are members more knowledgeable than me that can give you guidance. Good luck. He's a handsome guy.

3. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    How is your gander doing? Has he improved?

4. Iangillan

Iangillan New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    His wings still look the same but other than that he, and the other geese are their normal selves. I thought he was carrying them a bit closer to the correct position yesterday but on reflection that was probably wishful thinking.
    The only cause I can absolutely rule out is extreme heat, I live in Scotland.
    All my birds are due to be wormed in a few weeks time, I might do this early and see if that helps.
    Thanks for asking after him.

5. Gigglebox

Gigglebox Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Ian, what was the outcome of your goose? I'm having the same issue with one of mine now.

6. silenthawk2x3

silenthawk2x3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Olean
    My young Tolouse gander does this. He is in perfect health otherwise. I think their growing wings are sore, but your goose may be a little old for that. Has he put on weight recently?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by