adult geese with labored breathing in high heat

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sanctus7, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sanctus7

sanctus7 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    kent
    The outrageous heat wave has hit here in Ohio and I have adult toulouse geese panting heavy with noises...the other two adult geese are not exhibiting this type of labored breathing. I have a pool of water and buckets of water set out with a tarp over their area. I have left them out overnitht in the cage to keep cool.
    My friend who breeds geese and ducks lost two toulouse geese last night from this heatwave.
    I have to pen the geese up in the am and leave for work ...not sure if he will make it.
    I want to put him in my basement with AC..
    Any suggestions or helpful hints appreciated!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Um, why NOT put him in the basement? I would if I had to. What's the worst that can happen, some poo to clean up.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Big dog crate would be ideal. hope they'll make it through this heat. [​IMG]

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I would confine the geese in a airy buidling during the heat of the day and put fans in place to cool the environment. of course access to plenty water.

Good luck as it cant be easy trying to keep them comfortable in those extremes of weather.

Pete [​IMG]

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:*side note - I think we know the same person that lost the Toulouse. Does she live in Suffield?

Maybe put a nozzle on a hose and let it gently mist them?

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Just an additionalnote but if its very severe then why not try a mobile air condition unit in a room or outbuilding. Maybe an extreme solution but better to save your stock [​IMG]

7. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i would squirt them down with the hose when its hot.

8. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    This heat is terrible...I put mine out in the grass and misted them all down...They all stopped panting!...Now this heat can let up anytime!...Poor animals are all suffering!

9. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Make sure they have a baby pool to stand in -- -their feet need to be submersed in cool clean water when it's high point heat during the day.... This is critical. They flop around in the water and get real wet -- it cools them down. It is necessary. If penned you have to change the water 2 times a day or so to keep cool clean water so they can regulate their heat.

We put fans (cheap Wal-Mart fans) around the pens if the wind is not blowing but the air will not help alone.... They need COOL WATER to bathe and dip their faces and splash in--- spraying them with a hose doesn't work well, sorry.

At night, make sure they have water i ntheir pens deep enough to dip their beaks/face/eyes completely under. Fresh water at night and cool water is preferable - run hose until it's cold water. Hoses heat up.

We put a fan on low not right on the geese but far back you'll have to test it put yourself to know distance so there is a constant slight breeze on them atleast at night until the wee hours and you can turn it off -- -from dusk until about 2am it is still VERY HOT outside and radiation heat is in any building that you coop them in. If they are outdoors they should be fine as long as protected from predators with fence/wiring and they again have a deep cool water tub to regulate with.... At night they do not bathe, they dip their beaks/face in it. We use a storage clear plastic tub deep enough and keep it clean constantly for eye/sinus issue prevention.

Be careful misting down grass and dirt or penned areas. You can create bacteria farms! HEAT + WATER + POO and DIRT is a growth situation!! It's better to leave the environment DRY and just put a BABY POOl or if you have a shallow big enough 2x4 storage tub that they can step into without hurting themselves and GET IN THE WATER!!

GEESE NEED WATER - don't know who ever said they didn't but they obviously owned nothing but chickens! LOL! Which by the way benefit from putting their feet in shallow cool water during hot days to keep themselves cool......

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  10. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I would make sure to keep their water as cool as possible, b/c they will drink more if the water isn’t really warm, maybe put some ice cubs in the water buckets once in a while. Perhaps you could use lots of fans on them as well, or take them inside until they stop panting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by