Adult guineas adjusting well & we have eggs!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Cindy in PA, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have had my 6 guineas since 6/18. They have been eating well & have learned my whistle at night for millet & go in their coop with no problems at dark. I started getting 2 eggs a day from 3 females on Thursday! They enjoy their daily greens also. The really love Ultra Kibble! They will be caged another 4 weeks or so. My stray guinea Gilbert spends his days running around the pen & butting heads with the males. He has starting running across the yard for chicken scratch again in the afternoon, like he was accustomed to for the last 11 weeks. He also runs to me nightly starting about 7pm if I go down toward the coop thinking it's time for millet. I usually serve millet between 7:45 & 8pm. I believe Gilbert really helped in getting them excited over millet! I am really enjoying the guineas & haven't really minded the few times a day when they get noisy. They sure went nuts when a fox was in the yard last night around 7:15! Hope they can stand another month in a pen, but can't wait to let them out.

2. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    I'm so glad, that your guinnies are doing so well, hope you will have a lot of fun with them. My little ones grow like weeds since they are on Gamebirdfoot and they love their greens. We are working right now on our coop so that I can move all birds out of the garage

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    It is awesome when they enjoy the treats. Makes calling them much easier! I had an awful time with a few that didn't care for treats. So did you only have the 1 before getting these 6?

4. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:Yes, one showed up in April & never left. He hung around my bantam tractor & my large fowl coop. I decided to get rid of the bantams & get guineas! I know there may be a problem once the 6 others are left out to free range, but Gilbert is a keeper none the less! I sure hope the nightly millet gets ingrained in them so they will come in at night. They sure do seem to get excited now.

5. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:I wish I could build a bigger coop and get more guineas! I have a bigger coop that's just chickens now & I would love to get chicks & keets next year, but it is on the side of our acreage nearest the neighbors, so we will see how the first 7 work out. Hope your new place is working out well. Glad to hear the keets & chicks are growing well. My guineas are growing lots of new feathers in their bare spots. They look much nicer than 2 weeks ago. Gilbert (the stray) is much friendlier now & walks right up to me. He had never been penned since showing up here!

6. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    The new place is awesome. We are in the process to build the Chicken Coop. Today we put the roof up and paint the floor. Will post pic, when it is finished. Still waiting for pics from your "babies"

7. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

When y'all say "greens," what do you mean? Grass? Salad greens? And when you say millet, where do you get it?

8. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:When I say "greens", I'm referring to fresh home grown spinach, chard, romaine lettuce, carrot tops etc. I also pull handfuls of dandelions, milkweed and other assorted juicy weeds or them.

You can buy millet at most feed stores. It's not real cheap tho. I usually just buy whatever wild bird seen mixes Tractor Supply has on sale... usually they are mostly millet anyway and a lot of them have black oil sunflower seeds in the mix as well. My birds eat it all like candy... they just won't touch scratch, lol.

9. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I give them alfalfa, chard, dandelion, plaintain or they especially love chickweed. I bought 50 lbs. of millet for $17 at my feed store. You can find millet in many bird seed mixes also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by