Adult hen breathing heavy, lethargic

RIP Goldie. Sent her to UC Davis for a necropsy and the results are that she most likely died of Marek’s.

Im sorry to hear, it always hurts to lose a bird. Markes is the worst and often not much we can do to stop it.

🧡

I have seen chickens that are battling a tough internal diseases cause fecals like that, the bright green and thin poops is stress on the expanded spleen that has swollen due to white blood cell count and produces that look as well as heavy breathing due to the pain.

Did it come on suddenly?

Hopefully she makes it, sorry she is feeling well shes obviously very loved. :hugs

Edit: I just re read the top part of the sudden chicken death.
This reads to me as the sudden death variety of Marek's. How old are they? Just about a year old?
Hey, my chicken is experiencing the first part. One has died previously and they are all different hen types from the same place. All 4 are the same age, roughly 2 years. What is this?? Can it be helped?

Hey, my chicken is experiencing the first part. One has died previously and they are all different hen types from the same place. All 4 are the same age, roughly 2 years. What is this?? Can it be helped?
Hi @Duplicity_ :frow

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of your hen and her poop?
Describe symptoms and what you feed as well.

The previous poster and from what I have seen this is the end stages of Mareks disease. It is a virus that is endemic to every party of the world and causes rapid internal tumor growth and then death.
There is a vaccine for it but it is only partially effective.

You can breed some resistance to it but it can take many generations.

It tends to manifest I have noticed, at 11 to 20 mo of age.
There is no cure unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom