Adult hen breathing heavy, lethargic

Karm

Songster
Apr 20, 2021
Northern California
Hello, we had one hen pass away rather quickly yesterday with similar symptoms but we didn’t notice her struggling until it was probably too late.

So today we are closely watching all the hens and notice this one seeming lethargic, not interested in food (crop is pretty empty), and nat taking any water. She is separated from the flock and in a protected, cool spot with water/electrolytes and some layer crumble made into a paste.

It is warm here (Northern California) about 88 degrees but since the other chicken died and this one’s symptoms are not quite as bad (yet), we figure it is some medical issue and not just hot weather.

Look into the beak and throat for anything that could be obstructing her airway, such as yellow material or plaques, mucus, or a foreign body. Is there mold or a lot of dust around your coop and run? How is your coop ventilation? Are they overheating or overweight? Heatstroke could cause gasping. Do you hear any sneezing or congestion, wheezing, or see any bubbles in the eyes, nasal drainage or swelling of the eyelids?

Look into the beak and throat for anything that could be obstructing her airway, such as yellow material or plaques, mucus, or a foreign body. Is there mold or a lot of dust around your coop and run? How is your coop ventilation? Are they overheating or overweight? Heatstroke could cause gasping. Do you hear any sneezing or congestion, wheezing, or see any bubbles in the eyes, nasal drainage or swelling of the eyelids?
When I approached her just now to try to look in her throat she got away from me. But in doing that small bit of activity she did start a cough and a few shakes of her head. She hadn’t done that until now, but she has been resting and not moving at all. I snapped a photo of her poop which has been the typical look of it all day

Attachments

• 0811F799-AB83-4F5D-8AC2-8E5C69EC7DE8.jpeg
    0811F799-AB83-4F5D-8AC2-8E5C69EC7DE8.jpeg
    955.5 KB · Views: 125
As to the run/coop there is a lot of dust in the run and we have had double digit winds almost daily here for the last couple of weeks. The coop is very well ventilated and was just cleaned on Friday. The chickens weight seem healthy, but I am still new to this and could be wrong. They don’t get a lot of treats aside from scratch and being let out of their run for about a half an hour or so each day. The covered run is 2600 square feet for 16 chickens so they can run around in there pretty good.
Also, thank you for your response and the questions, I really appreciate it!

I have seen chickens that are battling a tough internal diseases cause fecals like that, the bright green and thin poops is stress on the expanded spleen that has swollen due to white blood cell count and produces that look as well as heavy breathing due to the pain.

Did it come on suddenly?

Hopefully she makes it, sorry she is feeling well shes obviously very loved. :hugs

Edit: I just re read the top part of the sudden chicken death.
This reads to me as the sudden death variety of Marek's. How old are they? Just about a year old?

I have seen chickens that are battling a tough internal diseases cause fecals like that, the bright green and thin poops is stress on the expanded spleen that has swollen due to white blood cell count and produces that look as well as heavy breathing due to the pain.

Did it come on suddenly?

Hopefully she makes it, sorry she is feeling well shes obviously very loved. :hugs

Edit: I just re read the top part of the sudden chicken death.
This reads to me as the sudden death variety of Marek's. How old are they? Just about a year old?
Thank you for your kind words 🥰. It did come on suddenly and yes the two hens in question are just over a year old.

Thank you for your kind words 🥰. It did come on suddenly and yes the two hens in question are just over a year old.

There is SOME evidence that probiotics can reduce the inflammation, but there might be other things going on. Yogurt on some of her feed if she will take it might help a little.

poor little lady. Good luck 💕

RIP Goldie. Sent her to UC Davis for a necropsy and the results are that she most likely died of Marek’s.

Attachments

• 79FA670D-1225-4E7B-A368-E8D793373343.jpeg
    79FA670D-1225-4E7B-A368-E8D793373343.jpeg
    999.9 KB · Views: 105

Back
Top Bottom