Adult hen breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCNC_Mel, Mar 28, 2012.

1. NCNC_Mel

NCNC_Mel New Egg

Dec 3, 2009
    We have four hens that we got as chicks from a local farm that has a free-roaming free-loving flock of various breeds. We are a nature center and like to have informative information about all of our animals so I'm hoping to pick out at least the dominant breed in each of these hens. I got the best pictures I could this morning before it started pouring so if other angles would be helpful let me know! I have some guesses but need a little help!

Hen 1 (Mel Jr.)
    The alpha bird in our little flock. Frequently broody. Eggs are medium brown.
    My guess - Australorp
    [​IMG]

Hen 2 (Piper)
    Makes a lot of noise when handled. Pinkish eggs.
    My guess - Plymouth Rock
    [​IMG]

Hen 3 and 4 (Consuela and Josie)
    The first is Consuela, second is Josie (sorry for the ridiculous shot, I thought it might show her comb and face fuzz a little better but she will not stand still), I'm assuming they are the same breed although Josie's ear/face fuzz sticks out more. They both lay olive-brown eggs.
    My guess - Easter Eggers? They don't quite fit the Ameraucana standard I don't think.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like you are right on about what you have there. My EE girl lays the prettiest green eggs.
    [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like your right but im thinking the barred one might be a marans with its white legs (or at least they look white on my screen), if not if she has a straight comb barred rock if its a rose then dom.

4. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    EE for the last 2. Australorp is the dominant breed (IMHO) in the black one, the barred one I was thinking barred rock, but her comb looks roseish looking comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by