Adult hen - wet backside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klutzyruth, Jun 19, 2010.

1. klutzyruth

klutzyruth Out Of The Brooder

My 2+ year old speckled sussex hen just started showing a wet vent. She is the last of the SS. Bobcat took all the rest. We now have RIR. 2 roosters. 6 hens.
    She will prostrate for the dominate rooster. He has bred her many times, several weeks now. So, this is new. Maybe 3 days ago, she started showing a poo trail down her feathers.
    Today, ( saturday) she is wet, all the way down. There is no prolapse. I see nothing wrong. She is just covered with poo on her backside. As far as I can tell, she is laying daily.
    Light brown as opposed to darker brown eggs for the RIR.

Is there anything you can offer for a solution? They have no mites, no bugs. They are clean chix.
    I am going to wash her, spray her with Adams Flea Off - so there will be no maggot devolpment, and seperate her from the group. She doesn't care, these red kids are a perturbation to her.

I have a vet that I can take her to Monday. I am just asking for your expierence. If you have a clue. HELP.
    Ruth

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Actually it sounds like youre doing everything right. just keep her clean and isolated until the vet can see her, and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by