1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adult Hen with Pasty butt? Had impacted crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robin703, Oct 9, 2012.

1. robin703

robin703 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 1-2 year old hen
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acts normal, eats, drinks lots of water, poops water.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I have had her for about 4 weeks and she has been this way since I got her.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. arrived this way
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. not sure what she ate before I got her. I was told she free ranged. When she first arrived with 2 others I fed them layer crumble and lettuce while they were quarentined. Fresh water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. watery and butt is white
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? When I noticed the white butt, I bathed her in warm water, cleaned her up and put her in a box with a heat lamp to dry, I noticed that her crop was full and felt like stiff dough. So I kept her in the box and read up on impacted and sour crop. I fed her olive oil with a syringe and massaged the crop for over a week, I fed her yogurt and egg, olive oil and more massages, tried to get her to purge her crop but couldn't get anything out. She drank a lot of water during this time. I could feel some large lumps in the crop once it went down some and they wouldnt' resolve, so I did crop surgery and took out a lot of large vegetation, long grass etc. She recovered fine except her crop still kept filling up with air and bubbles, so I treated her for sour crop again, egg, olive oil, acv. I started giving her layer crumble a couple of days ago and the crop seems to be normal. Still has watery poop, runs down her legs and her butt is white. ?? I wormed her with Wazine today. She doesn't seem to strain to go, eats like crazy, I still have her separated, in a dog kennel on newspaper so she can't eat any straw or vegetation till this clears up. She started to poop better the day after the crop surgery then back to water. What can I do. I can't find anything that describes this in adult chickens and I have tried all the pasty butt remedies I found.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by