Adult Hen with suspected coccidiosis - medicated chick starter ok?

starflite

Hatching
Apr 11, 2021
I separated one of my four year old Cuckoo Marans hens today because she’s been having diarrhea and is lethargic. She’s seemed to have this issue on and off throughout her life but no blood in stool noticeable and she’s the only one of my hens that has had this problem. I haven’t treated her for Coccidia before but I didn’t think it would hurt to try at this point. No other parasite issue history with the rest of my flock in SW Montana.

I was in a hurry to get to work this morning and couldn’t find my Corid liquid, so I just gave her a bowl of medicated chick starter and clean water and stuck her in my extra coop. This morning she was sleeping on the coop floor before I separated her from the group, and this evening she’s been able to fly up onto the roost in the hospital coop, so I think she’s feeling at least a bit better. Would it be okay to keep her on the medicated starter for a few days if she keeps improving? I have some liquid Corid I could dose her with instead but wouldn’t mind using up the medicated starter since I usually don’t feed it to my chicks anyway. She could stand to gain a bit of weight.

I separated one of my four year old Cuckoo Marans hens today because she’s been having diarrhea and is lethargic. She’s seemed to have this issue on and off throughout her life but no blood in stool noticeable and she’s the only one of my hens that has had this problem. I haven’t treated her for Coccidia before but I didn’t think it would hurt to try at this point. No other parasite issue history with the rest of my flock in SW Montana.

I was in a hurry to get to work this morning and couldn’t find my Corid liquid, so I just gave her a bowl of medicated chick starter and clean water and stuck her in my extra coop. This morning she was sleeping on the coop floor before I separated her from the group, and this evening she’s been able to fly up onto the roost in the hospital coop, so I think she’s feeling at least a bit better. Would it be okay to keep her on the medicated starter for a few days if she keeps improving? I have some liquid Corid I could dose her with instead but wouldn’t mind using up the medicated starter since I usually don’t feed it to my chicks anyway. She could stand to gain a bit of weight.
No I wouldn’t. It is not enough to treat a cocci infection. You need to do a full course of corid for that. I would also recommend an Oregon supplement in the water after the treatment is over. This can help in case it is something like salmonella, and it boosts her immune system.

Corid. If really bad, at this stage I make it strong and use an eye dropper in the mouth. I also add a pinch of salt & sugar as I know they need electrolytes from dehydration. I use a little custard bowl to put it in and try to give as much as I can. Last two Brahmas I even put a live mealworm in each of their mouths a few times for food. They didn’t want it but had to swallow. I was of course careful. By the time you find them like this they’re usually very bad. These two made it and they are so wonderful.

Another thing. If you have others her age...chicks, pullets, you need to treat them all. Still isolate her though.

Back
Top Bottom