Adult Japanese Quail with bad leg/s! Help is much appreciated !!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tamagoyaki, Oct 1, 2016.

1. tamagoyaki

tamagoyaki New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hello there,
    I have an adult female tuxedo quail that has a bad leg. In the morning i found it sitting out in the wire looking as if its having a sunbath, but after i come back it was still lying there. I figured something was wrong so i went to pick it up and found out that it cant stand or walk properly. I have since then placed it into the inside house but it hasn't gotten any better.
    It's breathing fast and looks like it's about to die! I have absolutely no idea what to do since this i my first time experiencing this with an adult quail.
    Should i put it in a separate cage and give it some special care or leave it?
    Your answers will be much help of me!
    Thank you very much.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure but perhaps it got injured and is in pain hence the lameness and panting? Do the legs look different from each other?

3. tamagoyaki

tamagoyaki New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    The cage that i have the quails in are danger free, since i had some problems with the cages previously because of wire sticking out, them flying, etc.
    The only possible thing i can think of that may have injured it's leg, is because she flew to high and didn't get a good stance when it came back down, But other than that, i can't think of anything.

I believe the two legs are pretty much the same, and she doesn't seem to feel anything when i touch them or move them.

4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Strange.. No markings or swelling and both legs are affected? Could be neurological? I'm not sure :/

5. tamagoyaki

tamagoyaki New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just found out its called the "Merek's Disease", One of my chickens got it and it spread to my quails getting this poor quail.
    Such a shame. :( I don't even think i'll be able to own any more animals because of this disease.

6. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh that's awful ;(!! You had it sent away to diagnose it? I don't know much about Mareks other than I fear it :S

Are things under control??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by