Adult Leghorn Bantam Breed ID????

BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Kentucky
When I first became a member of BYC, I posted a question about these birds (rescues) alot of people said they were Dutch in that post. They were rescued by me purchasing them for two dollars a piece to get tehm out of a cardboard box that their owner was using for a coop. They have had a hard life, I wish to improve their lives. Any breed ID can help me determine what environment they prefer and so on. I have had them since March 09 and the owner said they were only two years old. They are Bantams. However, They are far too large to be Dutch Bantams. They are larger than some of my American Gamefowl Bantams. I need the help of BYC to ID the breed for both the hen and rooster. I was assured that they were not mixed breeds (but it's possible) and I believe that they are Leghorn Bantams. He also said they were not ordered from a Hatchery but from a breeder who's name he refused to give. Regardless of the breed, I love them and look forward to some pretty roosters from their eggs.

Some information about the hen:

Temperament: Not Flighty after caught but runs from me in the coop. Aggressive to other hens to the point of injury.

Eggs: Six weekly and they are white but are almost round not oblong like larger breeds

Comb: Single but flopped over similar to Minorcas

Size: Weighed 1.9 lbs on the scale today after laying her egg

Color: Buff

Rooster:

He is exactly the same as her but a bit smaller in size. He has the Leghorn five pointed comb. However, he is very "game". He fights just like an American Gamefowl. (I don't fight them for sport, he got loose one day) His coloring is similar to BB red but his chest is ginger colored. However, He is white legged and Leghorns have yellow legs. (?) IF he is a Leghorn, what color variety is he?

Some Pictures of the pair (Who I consider the most beautiful of all my rescues, I have twenty of their eggs in the incubator):

207618_1934289445108_1478467300_2149871_4351673_n.jpg

The hen in my hands (very gentle once caught)
208475_1934285485009_1478467300_2149864_6689159_n.jpg

The Rooster after his fight with my Standard size New Hampshire Rooster. I got to them quickly but the big NH was running away from the Bantam...LOL

207229_1934276684789_1478467300_2149846_7300849_n.jpg

Thank you for all your help!

Timothy in KY

Last edited:
I am a breeder of American Gamefowl and I think both of them are a cross between Brown Leghorn Bantam because the hen lays six eggs a week (sometimes 7) and has not attempted broodiness in last two years (knock on wood). The other side I am guessing would have to be American/Old English Gamefowl because of their gentle nature in my hands and their aggressiveness towards other birds.

I failed to mention that the owner before me had American Gamefowl Standard, which may explain their larger size. The hen attacks with her spurs like a game-type rooster. Unlike heavy breed hens that prefer to peck instead of spur. She never pecks, she goes straight for the head and spurs. This is why they are kept alone.

I thank you all for the help. When I hatch out the eggs in the incubator (June 11th) I'll add pictures of the babies and that may help sort this out. If not, then I'll at least get to show them off a bit.

Timothy in KY

Quote:
Reason why I picked OEGB X heavy breed is because the white legs and small bodies resemble OEGB. Old english' can be decent layers in my experience but rarely set, this of course does tend to vary per line though, the 6 eggs a week could also come from the heavy breed side. A Leghorn bantam crossed with any type of heavy breed or large fowl would result in a bird around three pounds I'd expect, bantam Leghorn cocks weigh in at around 2 pound while OEGB/Dutch are about a pound and a half tops.

I said heavy breed because of the large bulky bodies and short tail, I have never seen a pure game, or Leghorn come looking like that without having a heavy breed in the bloodlines.

Leghorn game crosses look identical to games in many instances, especially when dubbed.

Back
Top Bottom