Adult limps, hip dislocated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sabz, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys,

I think my chicken has a dislocated hip. Do you guys know any good video of this situation so I could compare? Or did anyone successfully replace a hip?

In short:
    - She an adult
    - She never laid and doesn't seem to have an egg stuck
    - She's went down many weeks ago (like 6..7?). The first day she was just limping slightly.
    Took her in the house and it came worst until she didn't walk at all.

No marreck, not a disease for sure.
    I've given vitamins and electrolytes for so long now that I'm sure it's not related either. She eats well, eyes are normal, poo also, etc.

I have started physical therapy in my bath, so she weights less on her legs. At first she would turn on the side of the bad leg and go under the water. She seemed to get better at keeping her balance eventually. I massaged the leg, tried to find the tendon to see if it had slipped (apparently no) and trying to feel anything broken.

Last week I stretched her leg and it make a big noise. The chicken didn't really react but I stopped the bath and felt like I had hurt her.

Now, she's walking!? A bit, not much but across my house, while a few days ago she didn't move and just pooped on herself.

I think I replaced the hip but I am not sure, this is why I am asking if others did it.
    Also, it's been dislocated so long, it will probably dislocate again I am thinking.. so I'd have to replace it again but I'm not 100% sure of HOW I did it!!

2. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Update: she's all ok now, in case anyone passes through..

3. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Do you think it was dislocated? And you happen to pop it back in or do you think it was something else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by