Adult male button gifting to chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xxSonja, Nov 7, 2010.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Could it be an indication of chick gender?
    The most recent hatch of button chicks are only 5days old but some come running to my male whenever he makes his gifting noise and others just ignore him.
    Anyone witness this with their buttons when raised by the parent birds?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The males should be the one feeding the chicks. I don't believe it's the indication of gender. If you have a female and male helping with the chick care, that's great, just get ready for when they are ready to say goodbye when the chicks are ready to leave the nest. Now when they are all of sexual maturity, the parents are "supposed" to shoo them off to find their mates. This is what they do in the "wild"

3. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Hmmm so the male is actually just doing the normal thing? Thats so wierd, Ive never really noticed that in any of my other broods. (i dont incubate, everything round here is done 'au naturale' lol ) maybe all my other boys are lousy fathers? lol

I tend to pull my chicks out of the parental cage when they are almost fully feathered, usually they still have a bit of head fluff, and pair them up with a mate. At that age they seem to bond easier, and havent become territorial yet.

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    The males will also help incubate the eggs. [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They make Fake nests to deter predators. It's cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by