Adult male duck harassing young female

HomesteadGirl1234

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2018
I have four adult Ducks one male three females. We hatched two new ducks two and a half months ago. One is a male one is a female. My adult male is harassing my young female relentlessly, he keeps chasing her ripping her feathers out and won't let her around the pool or food most of the time. But he doesn't mind my young male? What can I do to help her? Its breaking my heart to see her excluded and picked on.

He likely wants to mate with her but she isn't ready. It's best to keep them separated until she is ready to lay and will be receptive.
I assumed that was likely what was going on. He has never been an aggressive duck, I know duck mating can be rough but he has never been like this with my other females. So I have done a lot of reading and am wondering If maybe she has imprinted on her hatchling mate so doesn't want anything to do with my older drake? I dont know if there is truth to duck imprinting or not. This is only my 2nd year around with ducks.

Usually around 4 months old or so you’ll know by how she acts towards her hatch mate she’ll begin flirting and flattening herself out for the drake (is her hatch mate a drake) once that begins then you can put them in with adults. Eggs will come soon after.

Yes her hatch mate is a drake. I need more coop space! and we already have 1 very big house a long run and another coop with 2 open/play areas. ‍♀️. Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom