Adult male guineas bullying 3 month old guineas. HELP!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by RobinB in Ok, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RobinB in Ok

RobinB in Ok Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    I need some advice about what to do with my guineas. I have 4 adult males (one is the young guineas' dad) who are bullying my baby guineas. The 4 males are allowed to free range and I am trying to get the young ones to start free ranging as well. But anytime the young ones come out of the house, the older ones run after them and pick on them. At night, when the older ones go in for the night, they terrorize the young ones, making them fly all over the house and cower in the corners. What can I do or will this just work itself out?

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

This is called 'pecking order' unless they are causing physical harm to the young ones just let them work it out, it's natural...

3. RobinB in Ok

RobinB in Ok Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    So should I try to encourage the young ones to come out of the house? I am able to open just the top half of the door or I can open both top and bottom. If I open both top and bottom, that's when the adult males create chaos.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are in 'hiding' I would not force them to interact having a safe place to get away from the elders is a good idea... In time they will integrate and find their place...

5. mommaguinea

mommaguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Put ONE of the older males in with the young ones- he is out of his element and should not be AS assertive. Wait a few days, add another...... By the time you get to three, they should be more accepting of the young ones on the "kids" turf and be less aggressive outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by