adult pekin going downhill fast after getting better. please help me.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurentheduckmommy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. laurentheduckmommy

laurentheduckmommy New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    sorry for the epic, it's been a long journey.

three weeks ago, something got into the house of my two, two-year-old pekins, donald and daisy.
    unfortunately, we found daisy dead, but donald was in pretty okay shape except for a few cuts.

i spent the first week after the attack mending his wounds, which are now healed very nicely.
    during that week, he was a bit off from being sore, but he continued to eat feed and fruit and drink quite a bit. he also played outside every day.
    it seemed like donald was already better and was gunna be just fine.

the second week and the first half of this week, i think he realised that daisy wasn't coming back and got depressed.
    we've had them both since they were two weeks old, they've had each other their entire lives.
    he still went outside and swam in his pool, but he wasn't the happy duck he used to be. and he started eating and drinking a lot less. which i've read on here is normal.

around wednesday this week, things got really bad.
    donald wouldn't eat at all, wouldn't leave his kennel, hardly drank, and spent all day in the corner with his head on his breast like he was sleeping.
    i recognized from the forums that these were signs he needed a new mate, so thursday night we arranged to pick up his girl saturday morning.

by friday morning, donald couldn't hold himself upright. he was wobbly, tripping over himself when he tried to walk.
    when we tried to feed him fruit, he could get the food into his bill (with great difficulty), but he wouldn't be able to swallow it.
    he is also keeping his head in a way that looks like pictures i've seen of wry neck.

saturday morning, we brought home donald's new mate, mildred, who has been in another kennel next to him.
    we thought that one donald saw millie, he'd perk up like he's supposed to, but that's not the case.

so now, he's even worse. can't walk without supporting himself with his wings out,
    he's really wobbly, when he stands up, he tips backwards, and he does this thing with his neck like he is dizzy, like his head is spinning.
    the whole time, because of the lack of food, his poop's been wet.
    we've been kind of force feeding him his poulty feed and some fruit and making him drink water with a vitamin supplement in it.
    i think seeing and hearing millie has made him want to try and get up and walk around and play, but he just can't do it.

i've been researching for 48 hours straight, and from what i gathered, it seems like a niacin deficiency, but i'm afraid it's more.
    my mom and i are just so confused, because he seemed so well two weeks ago, we just don't know why he's bad again.
    my mom thinks we need to take him to the vet, but the only one near me didn't seem to know much about ducks when i took daisy in a year back.
    i guess i just want to know if anyone agrees that it's a niacin deficiency from not eating much,
    or if they think it's something more severe,
    and how you all think i should handle this.

please help me,
    i can't lose another duck. it'll kill me.
    thanks

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It sounds like an infection and injury. So it was likely more than just a few cuts.

I would take him to the vet.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I totally agree. The wounds are likely to be infected. He needs a vet and antibiotics, fast.

4. laurentheduckmommy

Oct 13, 2011
    thanks a lot, guys. :]
    i'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning.

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Great - let us know how he goes!

6. laurentheduckmommy

Oct 13, 2011
    the first vet i took donald to sucks and just told me he was gunna die.
    they didn't try very hard to help him,
    and i knew there had to be something i could do to give him at least some chance.

so i took him to a different vet,
    and he's got botulism.
    he got it from a few maggots that were on his wound early on.
    it's really progressed, and it look really bad.
    donald's down to just over three pounds,
    and he's really weak.

but they're keeping him at the vet,
    tube feeding him,
    and giving him laxitives and medicine to flush out and try to cure the illness.
    so now all i can do is wait.

but i do want to say thank you to the members that replied to this post.
    without you guys, donald would have never seen a vet and would have definitely died.
    at least now vets are doing all they can to save him.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Keep us posted!

I am glad you found a vet that will help Donald.

8. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    So glad you found a vet who knows what he/she's doing! Keep us posted on poor Donald!

9. laurentheduckmommy

Oct 13, 2011
    welp, donald's been at the vet for two days now.
    from what i understand, they've been tube feeding him, giving him laxatives, and injecting him with the anti-toxin stuff.
    he's still in bad shape, but he hasn't gotten any worse, so i'm taking that as a good sign.
    i'm going to see him in the morning, hopefully they'll let me give him a treat.

i am curious, though, does anybody know or know someone that would know about how long it takes for an adult duck to recover from botulism?

10. laurentheduckmommy

Oct 13, 2011
    oh, jeesh, i've been so busy, i haven't been on here to update you guys in too long.
    only great news to give you guys, thankfully.
    donald's been at home now for six days. =]
    he's eating like a fiend, making lots of noise, and playing in the yard with mildred. (under close supervision, she's a wild one. haha)
    in the past couple of days, he's regained most of the movement in his neck.
    almost all of the other symtoms of his botulism poisoning are gone.
    the only issue he still has is the wobbly-ness, but my mom has been researching,
    and apparently that can take months to fully go away.
    because he is so unsteady, we have him and mildred in two seperate crates,
    but we push the two gated doors together so they can still see and talk to each other. :3

i just can't believe he's made it after being so sick.
    i've read a million times that usually birds die within 24-48 hours of getting botulism,
    but my little fighter man beat that stuff, and i'm so thankful.

thanks again guys for the help and for caring.
    you're the best.
    :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by