Adult plumage at what age?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My babies are almost 5 and 6 weeks and they are almost fully feathered out, but at what age will they have adult coloring?

2. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Anybody?

Like with a khaki or a rouen, when will the head get dark if it is a drake? Does the drake feather show up first?

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I think they should have full plumage at about 3 months. The Drake feathers take forever to show up. [​IMG] I think mine finally got theirs at 5 months.

EDT: I didn't really time mine. I just know that i was planning to butcher the boys after 4 months and we couldn't tell who was who.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    With Khakis, the drakes will have chocolate colored heads, and Rouens will look just like Mallards. I'm fairly sure the dark feathering on the head comes first. I haven't had ducks for a while so I'm having a hard time remembering [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm going to say 5-6 months as my Blue Ameraucana roo is now getting new feathers around his head and he was hatched the end of September.

Guess it depends upon the breed or variety.

Also some look entirely different after their first molt.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks [​IMG]

JJ is just over 5 weeks and I think it's a girl [​IMG]

The only thing throwing me was her leg color...they were turning yellow. It may very well be it is not a purebred khaki like I originally thought, but a runner/khaki.

Her voice is changing and we are hearing quacking with the peeping. I just didn't want to get my hopes up and then have her head turn green on me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by