1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adult Roo mating 14 week pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kattitude45, Jan 21, 2014.

1. kattitude45

kattitude45 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Central Georgia
    This morning I opened the coop for my flock to free range and my 1 year old EE roo chased down and mated my 14week old pullet. He has never even paid attention to her or my other 14 w pullet. They have been in the flock now for several weeks. She was screaming, running, flying all trying to escape. I managed to grab her only as he mated her. Is this normal? What do I do?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If he was my rooster and he was choosing pullets over mature hens, he would be in rooster jail for a couple of months. That kind of treatment is very stressful for pullets.

If you put him back with the flock and that type of behavior continues, he should get a date with the crock pot....

3. kattitude45

Aug 15, 2013
    Central Georgia
    He is also mating the adult hens as well. I have 7 adult hens and 1- 20 week pullet, he mates all of them but just began mating the 20 week pullet in the last week or so, I assumed that is normal since she is laying age now. But I do not like him chasing the 14wo pullets. I can kennel him for a few days if I need to.

4. Calix

Calix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, if she's freaking out like that then something isn't right. I've heard people refer to those sorts of roosters as pullet rapists- it certainly can't be good for the pullets to be stressed out that way, and it's definitely not natural for him to be trying to mate with a hen that is so obviously not cooperating. Bad, bad rooster. I would do whatever you have to to protect your hens.

5. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    My Rooster did this too but only lasted a few days. I was told that a Rooster knows when a pullet is ready to lay and that is why he mates them, whether this is true or not I don't know. It stopped so I'm not concerned.

6. kattitude45

Aug 15, 2013
    Central Georgia
    ok, so I recalculated the hatch date and the pullets are actually 17 weeks NOT 14. Does this make a difference? she could be only a few weeks from laying correct? This is my first experience with pullets beginning to lay ;)

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If she is not co-operating by squatting and accepting him, then he is indeed stressing her out. A good rooster does NOT go around forcing hens like that.

He would be the most important guest at tommorow's dinner if he lived here.

8. kattitude45

Aug 15, 2013
    Central Georgia
    I can't believe that he has turned aggressive! He has been a very good roo. He makes sure to feed his girl's first, calls them to the best food and even throws it at them. He has almost died a few times protecting the flock from a neighbor's dog. But this morning he showed a side that I have never seen from him. He RAN her down and cornered her very aggressively. I guess I should start looking for another roo...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by