Adult rooster and young roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by everythingjane, Apr 17, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    This might be a silly question, but I've only had one rooster at a time before.. I now have some 10 week old "chicks" which include 3 roosters. Is it safe to put the adult roo with the little guys or will they get hurt?
    Right now I only have two seperate areas and I want to put a different adult rooster with the hens.. so until I find a home for this guy I have to figure out another way of housing him...

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh my gosh, i wish i could help. But i wouldnt try it. If the roo is protective he will probably attack them!

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Can't wait till someone has some advice. I've got the same thing going, but my chicks are only 4 wks old, however, the chicks out number the adult roos 12 to 2, nevertheless...

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I put them in their own pen that has a fence between them for 3-4 weeks. This gives the adult roos time to get use to another male around and gives a chance to give the babies some time to understand that they are not the kings of the coops. So, far so good. They do tend to fight for a couple of days to establish the pecking order when I add them but over all i have never had one seriously hurt, just a little humbled.

5. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Ok, thanks.... I'll come up with another idea... but I might not need to because I found a source for the particular eggs I was going to breed.
    My adult rooster is kind of silly... He's been trying to sit in the nest box with the hens when they are laying.. I made him leave and then put in some smaller, higher nest boxes... Hopefully that will work [​IMG]
    He's cute though.. I watched him today as he found a worm and made a big show of calling the hens over so that one of them would eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by