Adult rooster with positive coccidiosis test

Hebandgene

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
Got a 5 year old sizzle roo who has been unwell for several days - occasional limpness/paralysis the first couple days, lethargic/not moving much but alert, not eating or drinking, green, moist droppings. Been tube and syringe feeding him. Fecal sample came back positive for coccidia, but no parasites. I probably should have asked what level of coccidia (if that's knowable) to know if it was a normal load or an elevated load. I'm hesitant to treat because he has not had any blood in his stool. However, I think amprolium is very safe so perhaps wouldn't hurt him.

Should I go ahead and treat him?
If so, how much treated water should I give him?
Thank you!

ETA: Vet does float test so can't know how much coccidia, just that they observed it.

Last edited:
After more reading in the forum it seems his very green droppings might be a sign of bacterial infection and maybe should treat with sulfa or Baytril (neither of which I have). So maybe start there instead of the amprolium or wormer?? I feel I need to do something ASAP.

I read that only a few strains out of many cocci cause bloody stools. Since the vet has diagnosed a cocci infection then treat it ASAP!!!

I would wait and see if the treatment works before second guessing and treating for anything else.

HI. I can’t help you due to my limited experience but I can offer you some emotional support and a bump up. If you haven’t gotten a more knowledgeable person (than myself) on board soon, repost your question with something like “Should I treat rooster with pos coccidiosis?”

any change in activity or appetite? Good luck with your boy!

Thanks, friends! @Chicalina , good to know about the bloody droppings not always being present. @One Lucky Momma , thank you for your encouragement. No better but no worse. I didn't think he would make it this far so I'm hopeful. @Eggcessive , Vet tech could not say how much cocci present, only that he saw it in the float. Bummer.

I found Casportpony's excellent instructions for a Corid oral drench and dosed him tonight. Here's a pic of my sweet boy. Hoping he rebounds but if not, he's had a fabulous chicken life.
IMG_20201017_110327093.jpg

We're 3 days into Corid dosing and there has been no improvement. He can stand, can't right himself if he falls over, can walk a bit, doesn't hold his tail up, still not moving much but alert, best I can tell not eating or drinking on his own still. Had a fairly normal dropping last night; others have been green and mucousy or wet. His weight has maintained with me syringe feeding him. Something like this happened to him three years ago and he pulled through after a week of tube feedings. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom