adult roosters - what are they?! BONUS: LOLROOSTER

Ok I have done countless amounts of time today to help you find an answer to the breed question. (This is my favorite pass-time)
Here is what I found:

Timmy and all the black hens are Marans. They are all Birchen Marans and I have picture here of a Birchen Maran hen that is so similiar to your hens it is un-real. To be honest it took a while to find a rooster similiar to your Timmy (almost an hour) but I am glad to help!
Marans are chickens that are average in their egg-laying. They are layers of large DARK brown eggs and seldomly go broody. They are especially cold hardy and will lay right into fall and winter. They are a very friendly breed that are often described as docile and very easy to handle. Personally, after all the research I did on this breed I am so impressed I am considering adding a few Brichen Marans to my flock. From what I've read about the breed today it will be a descision I won't regret!

Keep in mind all this is pending the hens lay dark brown eggs and I could be wrong but I tried

Here is what I believe your girls are (floppy comb and all):

BirchMarP4.JPEG

And The Rooster:

2008_0719marans0012.jpg

And here is a link to the breed's site:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

AGIAN I AM ONLY HUMAN AND I MAY BE WRONG BUT I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP FIND THE BREED OF THESE CHICKENS FOR A FELLOW CHICKEN-LOVER. FEEL FREE TO AGREE WITH OR CORRECT ANY PART OF THIS REPLY

Always Ready to Help,

Timothy in KY

THANK YOU!! you're my new best friend!!
big_smile.png

i bet they might just be low-quality hatchery marans. they don't lay -nice- dark brown eggs, no chocolate eggs for sure, but they're darkER than my other hens'. i'm surprised TSC would carry marans though? iunno. but neat! unless someone else has a better guess, i think i'm calling them marans. (and for the record - none of the black hens have ever gone broody, and they did withstand winter very well and continued laying throughout. and as a bonus, Timmy crows like an old man trying to play a kazoo.) they did however produce a solid black chick with their last hatch (at least i'm assuming the black chick came from them) with no white around the neck at all. she resembles an australorp, and has more of the green iridescence than the parent hens.

i've got 2 chicks from some combination of these guys right now, they're about a week old. one is a regular-looking black chick, and the other has yellow down, yellow legs, white beak, and flight/wing feathers that are white at the tips, then black, then dark brown. mutts are weird. i have no clue who the parents are (sometimes the cockerels snuck behind timmy's back) so i'm waiting for the chicks to mature and get their true colors before i try guessing with them hehe.

Boy, they're pretty! My first thought was marans when I saw them, but I didn't know all the colors. I am interested in getting marans when I have room to actually breed.
big_smile.png
The white rooster definitely looks like a sex link to me.

Quote:
Thanks!
big_smile.png

now i just wanna figger out what combination made this gorgeous copper roo of ours... I've got another 30 or so mutt eggs in the incubator, I'll be watching them to see what hatches out of who's eggs haha. i wish i understood chicken color genetics better, and it's even difficult to use the chicken calculator when you're starting with roos that don't seem to match any of the calculator options. =/

Back
Top Bottom