Adult Roosters without hens, and kept together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EMaker, Oct 25, 2011.

1. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    How well will two adult roosters, previously in a flock with hens, do if kept without hens, and penned/cooped together? My brother has two large roos who brutalize their hens (granted, there aren't enough hens for two roos), and it is at the point where separation seems the best route. (My brother will not do away with the roos, in any manner). He wants to build a separate coop with a separate run, and keep both roos together in it, where they can hear but not see the hens. Both roos lived together previously, but did so in a flock with their hens. Is he setting up a cock-fighting situation with two hen-deprived roos, or can this bachelor pad work for him? Or, is getting more hens the better solution? Thanks for your input, all!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I had 7 roos in a pen for 5 months last year, while they were waiting to be butchered. They got along just fine.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, they can go into their bachelor pad pen and they will get along as long they don't have access to mating a hen. The hens will get along without a roo too!

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I had 2 roos I kept together away from the hens; they had no problems. I let each one out of the bachelor pad on alternating days so that they could have the hens by themselves. I found that when there was only one rooster with the hens, he spent more time hunting tidbits for the ladies and watching for predators (instead of stealing hens back from the other rooster).

Jake:

[​IMG]

Elwood:

[​IMG]

5. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I have 2 coops with 2 attached runs, about 30 feet apart. Will it matter if I alternate free ranging time between the 6 roos and 25 hens, which would allow them to have contact, but with hardware cloth separating the roos from the hens i.e. when the roos free range they would be walking around the outside of the hen's run, and vice versa.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Once the pecking order has been settled mine get along fine.

[​IMG]

On occasion I'll get one that just can't let it alone and has to continually torment the others. He ships out pretty fast. Nine out of ten though get along okay once they work out the social order.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    A.T. Hagan :

Once the pecking order has been settled mine get along fine.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAACNQ/N25zlv9fnF4/s513/20111004_175550-1.jpg

On occasion I'll get one that just can't let it alone and has to continually torment the others. He ships out pretty fast. Nine out of ten though get along okay once they work out the social order.

Random question, but what kind of rooster is the one with the dark hackles towards the back of the picture?​

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Ameracauna/Easter Egger

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I had nine roos together, raised together...did fine, I had NO hens though....mix up at the store!

10. bigwiffy77

bigwiffy77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    Gervais Oregon
    If there isn't any hens for them to have access to they will almost certainly ignore each other, I have four roosters right now and two of them are separated from the hens and they ignore each other the vast majority of the time. Once in a great while a quick fight may happen for whatever reason but it's never long and never brutal. In my experience even if they can see the hens but can't get to them they still will ignore each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by