Adult turkey flipped?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BJS, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    I found one of my female turkeys, Broad-breasted Bronze, flipped over and lying on its back. It seemed exhausted, perhaps from trying to right itself? I picked it up and set it back on its feet. It was able to stand and walk, but seems "tired" (although it's only been an hour or so. It doesn't seem injured otherwise. These birds are all about 5-6 months. The one that was flipped weighs just about 30 lbs and is probably the smallest of the bunch, but not by much. Is it likely this bird just fell and couldn't get up, or is this indicative of something more serious? Anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm... are you planning on eating them? I'd probably eat her asap if so.

3. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. All four were going to be eaten this fall although I was hoping for a few more pounds. Still 30lbs live weight for the first one should be okay, then we'll take the Tom (much bigger) for Thanksgiving in another month. I was just curious if they're all going to start dropping, or this one just fell over and couldn't get up because of its weight.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

That's what it sounds like, it couldn't get it's legs back under it to get up.

"Help...... I've fallen and can't get up". The new turkey life alert, you could make a killing selling them. [​IMG]

Steve

5. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I've had turkeys "flip" over due to stress before. One, just got back from fair and was stressed and was heavyweight,(over 50lbs) and he has a sezuire and actually flipped over and died. Ive had one that was a very weak bird. and you would walk him a bout 10minutes and his face turned blue and had respiratory issues. loaded him on the truck for butcher, and when we arrived he was flipped over dead, probably due to stress and his resiratory issues combined, and happened just like the first turkey.

I have also known that meat chickens, the cornish X, that grow at a very fast rate die of "flip-over disease". They dont know the cause really, but they believe it could be a metabolic disorder or when they have a high carbohydrate intake or have a low feed to gain ratio. They go into convulsions and usually die flipped over.
    Did you bird seem to be flapping while on its back? Many birds die becuase they cannot be flipped right side up, and maybe you were at the right place at the right time? Just in case, since you have a month to go till butcher, I would not allow free choice food, if you are. and identify any birds that seem to be less active and stress during exercise.

I hope this helps in any way.

6. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    When I found it, It was lying on its back. It's wings were opened as if it had been flapping but was relatively still when I found it. The eyes were open and it was clearly awake and moving its head a little. Another turkey hen was standing over it and taking pot shots, pecking at the head occasionally (no visible damage). I have no doubt that it would have died had I not righted it, either from being hit in the head by the other turkey or just the stress of being upside down. They are all 30+ lbs, The tom is maybe 40 lbs. For the last week or two they are definitely waddling more than walking. This hen has gained about 6 pounds in the last 3-ish weeks- and the others have also grown at about that rate.

7. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    By the sounds of it to me, it was just a 'freak accident' and you are lucky you saved her [​IMG] I don't think there should be anything wrong. They usually are waddling when they get that weight. I hope it doesn't happen agian, but to me your birds are healthy. I dont see any reason why they would flip over unless by an accident.
    Good luck with your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by