adult with splayed legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sylvia, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia New Egg

Jan 11, 2008
    Does anyone know what this is?:
    New Year's Day, my 1 1/2 year old Silkie hen was found sitting way back with left leg forward and out. (I noticed her sitting not quite right the day before, but when I disturbed her, she got up and walked away just fine. She is a very broody bird, so sitting is common.) This time she was very unbalanced and had trouble walking. I picked her up and noticed she was very thin. She also appeared to have an ear infection, her right ear clogged with exudite. I cleaned her ear and began hand-feeding her, supplementing her usual Layena with soaked dry cat food and scrambled eggs and water, and vitamin E. She was getting stronger over the next several days, sitting more forward, eating voraciously, especially when offered a now-daily cat food and egg breakfast. Then yesterday something changed. Both legs are splayed forward and she can not support her weight. She can flex her toes slightly and can move them a little in a slow walk if I hold her up. Ears look pretty good, no more clogging. Any ideas?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm, I don't really know what is wrong but paralysis reminds me of Mericks disease. I am not sure though so hope you can figure it out.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I'd check her "knee" joints, the tendons may have slipped due to some sort of leg trauma. to check jently flex the leg back and forth. normally tendons are held in the center of the leg, with a slipped tendon when the leg bends the tendon will shift or pop to the side.
    good luck

4. Sylvia

Sylvia New Egg

Jan 11, 2008
    No slipped tendons. Her right leg especially now has little movement, though she can tense it up occasionally. Her appetite's decreased today. I forced some scrambled eggs into her. She's alert though, with bright eyes. Could it be Marek's in a 1 1/2 year old hen? I found out she was never vaccinated.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you should not feed your birds cat feed on a daily basis (the eggs will provide sufficient extra protein) there is too much salt and the vitamins are not in the correct amount and ratios to each other that birds need. Just in case it has something to do with that stop the cat food completely...
    She is a bit on the old side for Mareks I think but it is possible (though for mareks it is one leg in front one leg in back)... might be another cancer/tumor forming virus such as leukosis or reticuloendothiliasis...
    just ensure she gets the right nutrition, make sure she drinks and monitor her further... if I run across any additional specific info I will post it.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia New Egg

Jan 11, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. Please do let me know if you come up with anything else.
    The cat food is just to bulk her up, only started after she fell ill and became thin.
    Thanks.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Handfeeding formula for parrots (they also have similar product for ill birds) would be a better choice to do that with...you can mix it up with half of her feed (it is a powder that you mix with water and can be purchased at Pet Stores in the cagebird section) to "concentrate" the nutrition in her feed if she is eating too little.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. jtempleton

jtempleton Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    I have a similar dilema with a 12 week old chick. She was fine one day, started limping the next and now has lost total use of both of her legs. She seems to have spasms in her legs and they draw and jerk. Then they just sprawl out in front of her. I have been giving her teramycin, electrolytes, & aspirin. She is in the house in a basket. This is her 3rd week like this. I need a miracle! I thought it might be Marek's and have read there is no cure. Her appetite is still good. Any advice ???

9. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I am dealing with the same issue one bird out of 50 and of course he is the roo I wanted for breeding. I have pumped B vitamins (Rooster Booster) in him daily and added elctrolytes and vit to his water. He is better but not out of the woods yet.
    After hours of research on the web, nothing fit except possible neuro complications from Vit B deficiency. The question remains why this one bird out of 50? All are fed the same so I am questioning possible genetics.

10. jtempleton

jtempleton Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Where do you find "Rooster Booster"?
    Hope is breaking my heart, but she is putting up one fight !

If you find out anything else, please let me know. I'm not giving up. Strange, all my others are doing fine. Good luckwith your Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by