1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adults vs. Teenagers- Feed requirements

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CarriBrown, Jul 1, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My question-
    I have adults and teenagers together in the coop/run. Everyone gets along great. However, the big girls need to be eating their lay pellets and the young girls need to be eating their Flock Grower.
    The big girls have been eating the teenager food and have turned a beak to the lay pellets! [​IMG]
    Aside from seperating them (not an option), what can I do?
    I do have free feed oyster shells in there, but my egg production is down to almost nill.

PS. As I was writing this, the spinklers came on and everyone went running and squacking like rats on a sinking ship! [​IMG]

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The adults will be fine eating the flock grower with the free choice oyster shell. When the babies get old enough to lay, you can start weaning everyone off the flock grower.

I don't think the slowdown in production is due to the diet. A lot of birds are slowing down right now because of the heat, mine included.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Carla is so right. I finally mix the chick starter in with the pellets and the game bird feed since I have ducks, grown hens and pullets all together and it was hard to get the "right" bird to the "right" feed.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

OK... It could be the heat. It's been in the 90s. Their entire run is covered by trees, but I'm sure it's still pretty hot for them.
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:WOW not much I know about the feeding part of this post..........just had to reply to the "turning on of sprinkers" thing............right now ......we are in our 19 day of rain.....can't imagine having to turn on sprinklers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by