Advantages of a bantam vs larger variety

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by huntbritto, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Large fowl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bantams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. huntbritto

huntbritto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm new to bantams and I was thinking of maybe getting cochin or rock bantams, but what are the advantages of them vs their larger counterparts? Which are friendlier and which do better in show? Thanks for the help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The advantage of bantams is that you can keep far more in the same pen that would hold fewer large birds. Bottom line is go to a show, look at the birds and decide which birds are most attractive to you. You are only at the shows a couple of days a year - you have to look at the birds daily. Have birds that are pleasing to you. [​IMG] Nice fish in your avatar!

3. huntbritto

huntbritto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks! She was 6 1/2 pounds (monster for Iowa) but yea thing is I want to order in the next few weeks and there aren't any shows between now and then

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Better to buy from a fancier rather than a commercial hatchery if showing is your ultimate goal. It does not cost anymore to feed a show quality brd than one that is not truly representative of the breed. Check the "Buy, sell, trade" forum or go to the "Social" forum, click on 'Where am I? Where are you!' and search for your state thread. Maybe someone there can help you locate show worthy birds. Good luck in your search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by