Adventure Club

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Jul 30, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am looking to start an adventure type club for my boys and some other homeschool kids in our area. I am really looking for it to teach fun boy-type stuff (or what many people think of as being in the boy category). If your child were in a group like that, what kinds of things would you like to see them learn about? Here is the list I have made so far (I know we won't get to all of them):

knots
    fishing
    whittling
    woodworking and tools
    sports
    morse code
    paper airplanes
    go-kart
    camping
    first aid
    archery
    fencing
    rafting
    marbles
    stick ball
    tracking
    nature
    rock climbing
    hiking
    mountain biking
    auto work

It will probably be for kids ages 6-12 or any other age who has interest and can safely be involved. Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    That's a great idea. I notice a lot of the ideas are similar to what the boy scouts teach. Are you not interested in having a boy scout troop?

You've got a pretty good list there. I only have a girl, so I can't think of much to add other than more details to things like camping & nature: outdoor cooking, tent set-up, how to pack a backpack for hiking, trail etiquette, animals, atv safety.

Good luck!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No, not really interested in Boy Scouts. If I ever did want to get my boys involved in scouts, I would want it to be with a Jewish group and there are no Jewish scout groups anywhere near me. I prefer to do my own thing at this point.

Thanks for the extra ideas!

4. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Orienteering. (using a compass and sometimes a map to get from where you are to where you want to be. Fascinating and very useful stuff.)
    You could spend months on orienteering. There are orienteering events for families/groups and individuals, too. it's a lot of fun.

Geocaching can follow that if there is interest. Geocaching usually uses some kind of GPS device, so I think it's more about the thrill of the hunt, where orienteering is more about the raw skills of finding your way. There are people who geocache without a GPS device though...

Even if you don't establish a Boy Scout troop, they have excellent resources you can use in creating your own projects/adventures. I'm all for drawing on the knowledge and experience of others and building on it. Like BYC...[​IMG]

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Orienteering and geocaching - why didn't I think of that? I use a GPS and maps in my daily job! [​IMG] Guess I'm waaayyy off my game today!

I understand about wanting to have a group tailored to your needs.

How about horseback riding and soapbox derby cars too? Also gardening (boys love to play in the dirt!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by