Adventure ducks take a quack at being outside ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melissamerry, Aug 1, 2013.

1. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    We did it! We built a run/pond for our spoiled ducks. They have been real, outdoor ducks for two whole weeks! Look how happy and dirty they are!

[​IMG]

The transition outside was rough, mainly for me. Every half hour I was outside at night checking on them. They slept peacefully through the night and I was the one pulling my feathers out!

We're confident that its safe and secure, I think we covered every possible attack. I know that my boyfriend was quite aggravated with how many lines of defense that I wanted. I told him that if something ate my babies he would have to find a new place to live. I think he then realized how serious I was about building this right. Here's the almost finished product. I still want to get electric wire, motion lights and what ever else I can find.

[​IMG]

They are having just a blast in their new pond as well. They swim for hours now, chasing fish and teasing the hawks above.

[​IMG]

It seems that the adventure ducks are settling in nicely, and that Jake wants to be a mama duck! I found her nest hidden in some bushes. Unfortunately, it's not within the run. There are four eggs in it so far and I would like to move it into their run. Any tips on how to move it so that Jake can try and hatch some cuties out?

Should I wait until she's satisfied with the number and starts sitting? Right now she just runs to it in the morning when I let her out. She'll sit on it for an hour or so while the other two destroy my tomato plants. Then she'll join them in the fun. She seems to be laying an egg every other day so far.

I would really like to give her the chance to safely hatch out some more white mallards beauties. Advice would be wonderful! Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Ah, dirty ducks. I love it. Raining here today so mine are in seventh heaven, and dirty! Can't give you any hatching tips but looks like the ADs are having fun! [​IMG]

3. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    It's funny how ducks go nuts in the rain. Do yours try and eat the rain before it hits the ground? Mine run around chasing rain all the time. So cute

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine bite at raindrops, sometimes jumping up to catch them.

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    They do but they really, really love to bore holes in the wet ground foraging for grubs. I also have lots of knee high vegetation on my property and it is comical to watch them lunge at bugs they find in it. And oh, here are a couple of pics of some of them foraging in one of the gardens during and after a 4" rainstorm in May. Thank goodness I have a pond for them to bathe in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Doing what ducks do best, and so cute at it. [​IMG]

7. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    Dirty duck kisses are the best!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    • Do you have a nice secluded secure place to put Jake and her nest once she begins to sit? she is going to want privacy that's why she is making her nest out under bushes.

9. melissamerry

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    They have their doghouse that I lock them up in when it's bedtime. But I'm guessing she is going to want her own spot and not share it with the other two? I'm not sure how the other two with do with her gone at night.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Once she starts to brood she will most likely kick them out of the dog house if that's where you put her nest. They really don't like to share, well most of the time they don't, I have 4 ducks brooding on nothing right now 2 in each stall. But it would be best if you can give her something else to sit her clutch in maybe another dog house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by