1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adventure into hen housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4season, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 4season

4season Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    It all started when a guy at church said to me "I have too many chickens and need to sell some. You know anyone that would want to buy some mature hens?" After talking it over with the family for a week, I told him we would buy some if he could keep them for a few weeks till I got the coop built. I found this site (along with some others) and starting picking up ideas for coop designs. Of course I used the materials that I had laying around so that kinda designed the coop for me as well.

First I read that you want 10-12 hens per rooster so I figured I better plan on housing at least 12. That gave me the idea to build a 6ft by 6ft hen house with a 6ft by 12ft run. So to help visualize my design I laid some old metal out in the area where I would build.
    [​IMG]
    The hen house would be to the left with the run to the right. Then I set some poles.
    [​IMG]

2. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    Next up was a floor for the hen house:[​IMG]

I went ahead and nailed down the flooring to give me a place to stand while working on the rafters.
    [​IMG]

I also buried the wire under the hen house before flooring just to give me room to shovel.

3. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    I then built the base for the nesting boxes put the roof on and started siding it in plywood. I saw the egg shaped holes leading into nesting boxes on another build and stole that idea.
    [​IMG]

I also didn't want to go in the hen house to gather eggs so I built outside access to the nesting boxes.
    [​IMG]

4. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    Next up was windows and doors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    I just had to trim out the inside with linoleum floor, roost, and poop board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I temporally blocked off the nesting boxes until they started laying.

6. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    Once I had added sawdust to the poop board and leaves to the floor we went to pick up our hens. It took about 2 months or building for a few hours on the weekends to get to this point. Winter was coming and I knew that the chickens would not have much use for the run in the winter so I still don't have the run finished. But here the ladies are on the ride home in the dog's box:
    [​IMG]
    Once they were home they flew up to the roost to settle in for the night.
    [​IMG]

We ended up getting 3 Rhode Island Reds, an Americana, and 2 unknown farm mix hens.

7. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    It took the ladies a couple of weeks to settle into their new house before we got this:
    [​IMG]
    I got real excited and opened up a couple of nesting boxes and put golf balls in them.
    [​IMG]

8. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    All 3 RIR started laying that week followed by the black chicken the next week. We had 4 out of 6 birds laying about every other day thru December. The Americana started laying late in December and now lays an egg every day. It is quite nice having a blend of eggs every day.[​IMG]

9. 4season

Mar 22, 2015
    Got the run finished up back in early spring but forgot to update my build.
    [​IMG]
    Only took the ladies a few minutes to try it out.
    [​IMG]

10. thegreatwhite

thegreatwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Douglasville, GA
    looks great! i dig it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by