Adventures of a Chicken "Tender"

sqatkins

Chirping
Aug 24, 2019
Missoula, Montana
I am a retired elementary school teacher who at last gets to pursue raising chickens after it having been on my bucket list for decades! I just bought 5 juvenile hens from a breeder about an hour south of where I live on the edge Missoula, Montana. I have one 5 month old Rhode Island Red, one 4 month old Rhodie, and 3 red wynadottes (blue, black, and splash laced) that are 3 months old. I chose those breeds because they are dual purpose birds and are known to be cold hardy, important in a climate like Montana. I am looking forward to the adventure of learning to tend chickens, and I hope this community will be able to answer many of my questions as they arise. Thanks.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on fulfilling one of your bucket list objectives.

Here are some links to useful resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Quackter

Songster
May 15, 2019
I am a retired elementary school teacher who at last gets to pursue raising chickens after it having been on my bucket list for decades! I just bought 5 juvenile hens from a breeder about an hour south of where I live on the edge Missoula, Montana. I have one 5 month old Rhode Island Red, one 4 month old Rhodie, and 3 red wynadottes (blue, black, and splash laced) that are 3 months old. I chose those breeds because they are dual purpose birds and are known to be cold hardy, important in a climate like Montana. I am looking forward to the adventure of learning to tend chickens, and I hope this community will be able to answer many of my questions as they arise. Thanks.
Welcome, plenty of good advice and stories here.

Top Bottom