Adventures with Bob - the "special" cow...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mojo Chick'n, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Ok, it has been raining for days (feels like months. but I digress...)

a large portion of my calf corral is 10 inches deep in mud mixed with calf poo [​IMG]

I have 4 bottle baby calves, and 10 older calves. The bottle baby calves are in the corral (they have dry areas in there, too - this just happened to be a part of the corral that has drainage problems - naturaly that is where the main gate is.) Behind the barn - still part of the corral, it's a large corral - is the baby stalls - for when they first get here and I want them seperated. These are covered, nice and dry and protected from most wind and weather.

Of the older calves, Bob is the smallest and the dumbest - he just hasn't been right in the head since he was born, if ya know what I mean. He is "special" - healthy, puts on weight really well, looks fine, just a bit slow and he gets himself into really stupid situations.

I went to do chores this morning and Bob wouldn't get up to come up to eat (he's been acting punky the last couple days, probably gonna have to call a vet or give him a B12 shot) and I spent ten minutes trying to drag his butt onto his feet so he'd come and eat - gave up on that (as soon as I did he got up and went to eat [​IMG] )

Then I set up a stall for him, figured he was tired of the mud, too, so I'd give him a nice warm place to lay and to make sure he's getting enough to eat (seeing as he's the smallest of the older calves - I thought maybe he was being pushed out and therefore didn't want to wrestle for breakfast).

I get him inside the outer corral and he lays down again - won't get up - In ten inches of sloppy poopy mud. argh!!!!

By this time I am so ticked I'm about ready to pick the little idiot up Incredible Hulk style and toss him into the stall (which is around the corner of the barn, a good 20 feet at least. Instead I figure fine, if ya want to lay in crappy mud, I'll drag you to the stall - so I did. The mud, at least, made him slide a lot easier than dried ground would .

So I drag him into his stall and he lays there and starts eating hay happily. Meanwhile I am covered in the icky stuff head to toe and still fuming.

Oh, did I mention that during all this I had four bottle baby calves head butting my hind end and trying to "help" (or rather, trying to get milk out of my hind end). I'm dragging him one way, they are head butting me the opposite way.

Oh yeah... Farm livin' is the life for me.....

I guess my only satisfaction is that I got the stoop!d cow where I wanted him to go - I won (sort of [​IMG] )

is it too early for a Margarita?

meri

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL..I know it wasn't funny for you, but I could picture it. You dragging Special Bob through the poomud, babies butting your butt. It sure sounds frstrating, but what a good story it makes.

3. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It does sound frustrating! I wish you had a video, lol.

The mud in Kentucky is so terrible right now. It completely sucked up another one of my flip flops the day before yesterday! I need to buy new boots...

When I was really little my grandparents calves would try to nurse from me like that, and they would knock me over. I remember screaming for help while their sandpaper tongues slurped all over me. I thought they were going to eat me. [​IMG] I used to LOVE to bottle feed them...safely through the metal gate where they couldn't pull me over by sucking so hard or try to nurse from my sides.

4. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    on a morning like that its never too early [​IMG] the joy and the pain of animals

5. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Sounds like my kind of day! Do you have any pictures of Bob?

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I'll have to see if I can find a pic of Bob - but I did find one of the Bottle Babies.

[​IMG]

meri

7. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Oh, thank you for that picture! Gosh, I wish I could have a cow; look at those sweet, sweet eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by