advice about a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heather112588, Dec 31, 2010.

1. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I raised a batch of chicks from 1 week old. 3 turned out to be roos. Up til now i've never had any trouble with any of them. I had a method that i picked them up everyday and so far, it worked. anyway, today the lead male "gilda", didn't flog but did the wing dance and stare down to me ( yes, i know he was trying to dominate me). I chased him around the yard for few minutes than grabbed him for some hiliation petting in front of the others. He has been staying clear of me so far and none of the other roos have done that. But is there any other advice to get the idea out of his head?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Keep at it. He is now becoming a teenager and will challenge you because that's what they are supposed to do:) Remember Moms Always Win!

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    they'reHISchickens :

Keep at it. He is now becoming a teenager and will challenge you because that's what they are supposed to do:) Remember Moms Always Win!

X2 Keep working with him and maybe he will calm down​

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have to disagree with the above comments. They are good points but not the best for the situation. The reason I am saying this is because if you are close to your rooster and cuddle with him and all that TOO MUCH you are digging yourself a bigger hole. If you do that stuff with your roo he will think you are not the dominate one of the roost. That is when he will strike and try to take control of the dominance. I'm not saying terrorize your roo or anything like that I am just saying you want your rooster to somewhat "fear" you.

5. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I didn't say anything about cuddling with roosters (that's what hens are for [​IMG] ), I was just trying to say keep being dominant, let your birds know who's in charge but still allow them to feel like part of the flock. I agree roosters should have some "fear" of there owners vs owners fearing the bird.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    They do fear me alittle but at the same time, i don't want the guys to see me as a threat to the flock either. I love the fact that i can call and they come without hesitation or it's no work to catch them. I'm having a hard time finding the balance. He's still been good and really is a good roo (i can honestly say that none of my roos have been Bad).

7. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    That sounds like how my roosters act! Well my older ones anyway. It usually takes time to get a young or aggressive rooster in line. That's good you don't have to chase your birds to catch them. When it's time to check up on mine I always have to get a net. Can't catch them without it! Sounds like you almost have him trained. I've heard that if they walk towards you with a side ways motion and has that look like he's going to try something that you should walk towards them and don't make one step backwards. My white leghorn's son tried this on me and I walked faster towards him and now he gives me plenty of space when I'm in his coop/run. There's a good page here that explains how to deal with aggressive roosters. I wish I knew the link to it. I hope you do get him trained. The best thing about having an aggressive rooster that you want to "fix" is once you learn how to train the first one, the next time you have one you'll know how to deal with it(and if it doesn't fix it you can have fresh chicken in the freezer). That's how I see it, but there's really nothing great about having a bad rooster unless they are good at keeping predators away [​IMG]

8. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I would leave him alone and beat him to death if he hurts you.....................

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    You got to show who is in charge when you're present. If not, he will become more aggressive with you or anyone enter the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by