1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice about duck hatching needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by awong321, Apr 19, 2017.

1. awong321

awong321 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hi everyone,
    We are hatching duck eggs in our kindergarten class. Today is the 28 days. Since the Easter long weekend, and we cannot take the incubator home, we have increased the humidity before we went home last Thursday, which means we have started the locked down 3 days earlier than we supposed to. Before we left on Thursday, we candled all 8 eggs and they seemed all healthy and alive.
    Today, still nothing happened. So we tried to candled them from outside the incubator and found 2 slightly moving inside. But we can't see anything moving from all others. We took out one of the two eggs that was moving inside and candled it, we clearly saw the baby was trying to pip through the membrane (it looked like it hasn't passed through to the air pocket yet).
    My question is, is it possible the membrane inside was too leathery that it cannot pass through it? (We saw it moved since this morning) In that case, what should we do? Can we help at all? Or is it normal to take that long? The air pocket shape started to look funny and much bigger since this morning, is it normal?

Attached is the video and photo of that egg!

Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just keep waiting....It can take hours to pip and then hours to zip out....If you counted the day you put them in as day 1, today your actually on day 28...;)......Be patient ...:)..... They will hatch.....:)

Good luck !

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. awong321

awong321 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017

Thank you!
    The air cell just looked too big to me since yesterday, so I just worried.

4. chickens really

No, it looked fine too me...:).....You want big air cells...:)......

5. awong321

awong321 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you! It made the first pip this afternoon!

6. chickens really

Awesome....:).....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by