Advice about egg laying / broodiness /egg bound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KylieB, Dec 6, 2012.

1. KylieB

KylieB New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    We are brand new to backyard chickens. I have a gold laced wyandotte that has only been laying for about 3 weeks, and hasn't laid an egg for 2 days. She now sits on her "nest" in a corner of the garden from mid-morning onwards and seems reluctant to move - didn't want to return to coop last night - had to pick her up & put her in. Need advice as to whether I have a problem here (eggbound) or whether I should give it more time. This morning she seemed fine, normal eating & drinking, just no eggs and just a preference to sit in her "nest" even though no eggs in it. Any advice?

2. attila the mum

attila the mum Out Of The Brooder

i am far from an expert but one of my girls started this recently since i got her some fertalized eggs as we dont have a rooster she is happy as...we are expecting them to hatch soon...maybe she is broody as thats exactly how pecka got and she would carry on big time if you moved her...hope it works out for you

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Is she sleeping in the nest as well? Then she may be broody. Has her behaviour changed apart from the constant sitting? Is she puffing her feathers up when she walks around, clucking, slightly more aggressive?

1 person likes this.
  4. KylieB

KylieB New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    We brought her inside the coop at night (she was was free-ranging), and she wasn't happy about it but think she would have been happy to remain outside all night if we let her (she normally goesinto the coop herself at dusk.) She is a pet of my son's so didn't want any "incidents" overnight so we put her back in the coop. Her behaviour is about the same as normal other than the "sitting" for long periods. Not aggressive to other chickens. Was aggressive to me when I picked her up though! I've had to put her in the coop two nights now, and don't really want to have to do that all the time. Concerned about the sudden lack of eggs (not eggbound?), and also the "broodiness".
    Welcome any suggestions!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hens stop laying when they are broody, so if she is broody, that's why she's not laying. I'm curious as to why she want to be outside though? One of my hens did that and we eventually figured out she had a hidden nest outside that she was sitting on. She did hide her broodiness very well and we didn't suspect anything until a week before the eggs hatched!

I haven't had an egg bound hen, thankfully, but here's a good thread on egg bound hens you can look at for comparison. (post #3):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660610/egg-bound

6. KylieB

KylieB New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Will let you know how we go. She appears OK this morning ( no egg so far but only early) so am thinking that she has just gone broody. Thanks to everyone who replied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by