Advice about keeping a rooster in the suburbs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi,
    I am getting my first rooster this weekend. He is a black Ameraucana I want to use for breeding. I live in a suburban neighborhood so he can't make to much noise or he is gone. I am planning on putting him in the shed at night and letting him out with the girls in the morning. We don't have any other chickens or rooster for at least 10 miles around me so no competition for him. Its getting cold so peoples windows shouldn't be open and we don't have neighbors to close to the coop. Any advice from experianced suburban rooster keepers? or how to deal with the noise?

Here is my post about them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259292
    Here is the craigslist add I am getting them from StandardBanty a memeber here
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/1431647804.html

Thanks,
    Henry

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Our EE rooster rarely crows, maybe twice per day or if there is a hawk overhead.

Before opening the pop door in the morning I sprinkle some scratch around so that he has something to occupy himself right away. I time their door opening so that it coincides with the sun coming up. Once he's finished with the scratch the sun has been up for a while and he's no longer interested in telling the neighborhood about it. Then he and the grils just go on about their day. Sometimes he'll crow when he sees me coming to the pen after work. That's when they get a handful of greens and I collect eggs.

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    If you play your stereo really loud all day and night, nobody will notice a rooster crowing. [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Can you put a few straw bales around his cage he is in at night to muffle any crowing?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a darkish pen (shaded by oleanders on the one area that's open) where I put my roos.
    They don't crow that much when they are alone... when they are with the laides... that's a different matter.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks for the great advice. I will try and muffle his cage at night. He will be out in the field which isn't to close to the neighbors yards. At night I will put him in the shed maybe I will flip on the light swich in the shed so that he crows in there and then take him out to be with the ladies. Briteday I can only hope I have a rooster like yours.

Thanks again,
    Henry

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    This is a great post that talk's about the same thing... saved my life... and my chickens!

My husband has been designing and planning an insulated/ventalated 'cock box' to go in our coops for months. I'll let you know when he has actually built the thing.

I love the idea of keeping them underground. There is a guy here with an underground coop... cool.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131330

Good luck!

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks Happy Chicken Momma thats great!

9. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Your rooster won't crow in the dark, but don't rely on him not crowing at any time of the day. They're all different, some crow only on special occasions, some crow just about all the time.

Do what we do. Bribe the neighbors with eggs.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Mr. Peepers :

Your rooster won't crow in the dark, but don't rely on him not crowing at any time of the day. They're all different, some crow only on special occasions, some crow just about all the time.

Do what we do. Bribe the neighbors with eggs.

Just hope the girls start laying in time I hope I get a speacial occasion guy but we will see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by