Advice about socializing silkie mama and new chick to flock

Roosting Robin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
Atlanta, Texas
I started out with separate coop and run for 4 silkies. Ended up with 2 silkie Roos and 2 hens. Other flock is 20 hens and 2 Roos. About a month ago, I free-ranged all. One silkie hen died, unknown causes. Other became broody so I gave her 2 eggs, 1 hatched. So now I have all the others including silky Roos in large coop and free range. Silkie mama and RIR baby are isolated. I'm afraid to let them out wit flock because silky mama gets picked on badly, then to add baby in the mix. Is the mama/baby combo enough to meet both of their socializing needs?

If she was already being picked on before she went broody, keeping them separated is a good idea. Sounds like she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and its a very real possibility that her little chick could be injured (or worse) by the other birds.
She and the baby will be fine together, they will keep each other company. If one of those Silkie roosters wasn't a part of the bullying, you could consider adding him to their pen. My Silkie roos do an excellent job with helping the mamas raise their chicks :)

Back
Top Bottom