Advice about which breed I should choose next?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Volkova, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Faverolles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Welsummer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Leghorn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Brahma

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Araucana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sussex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Minorca

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Rhode Island Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Speckedly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Cream Legbar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Plymouth Rock

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  13. Pekin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Cochin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Wyandotte

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  16. Vorwerk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Volkova

Volkova Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    Dudley, UK
    OK, at the end of next month, it's hatching season at my farm. I currently have 2 White Leghorn hens, 2 British Black Tailed Araucana Hens, a couple of Orpingtons, a Silkie couple. I am building a brand new shed/coop for some new chickens this season, and it will hopefully fit 10-15. Anyway, I was wondering which breed(s) I should hatch out?

I'm looking for a good egg layer, a very good one at that! Something that lays large eggs. I do like my chickens to have a nice look to them and I'm not a fan of the plainer but efficient variety of hybrids, although I really like some crosses. Any advice? Oh, and I'd like it to be able to be tamed through petting/treating etc.

Any suggestions? I've made a poll on some I have been suggested, but feel free to make any more ideas! Thanks!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I voted Plymouth Rock. One of the friendliest birds I have come across. They lay exceptionally well, and have a very beautiful pattern.

Though I also really like Mottled Houdans, who also are said to lay very well, but are crested and very friendly.

3. Volkova

Jul 25, 2012
    Dudley, UK
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have heard many good things about Plymouth Rocks. I usually like ornamental breeds or dual purpose, but since I'm starting to sell eggs my current birds are struggling to keep up. An egg layer, like the Plymouth Rock, is what need! :)

The Houdan seems interesting. I once had some Polish (who had to be brought up with the Leghorns, poor guys!), but the rainy weather here made it awkward for their crests and so I may have to consider that.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I vote Wyandotte , because while I have a few breeds they are the friendliest. I think it's their inquisitiveness nature. They are born " stick beaks" . Oh and of course it helps that they lay all year round[​IMG]

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oops, sticky beaks!

6. aoxa

You must have a good line. Everyone who isn't breeding them seriously and have had their experiences with them (that I've spoken with) do not like their laying abilities and they are very flighty, and terrified of humans.

I've had 3. They were the only 3 pullets I've ever had to cull. They were slow growers, poor layers and just didn't fit in with the flock well in my experience.

But they sure are pretty, I'll give them that.. And if you have a good line - I'm sure they would be much better than what I've experienced.

7. aoxa

Houdan's do get dirty crests like a polish, but they are much different in their egg laying. They can be prolific. They take longer to mature to POL though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are some of my birds. The male in the first is smaller than he should be for the breed. He is not well received by the other roosters, and is often bullied away from the food. He's much bigger now that I've put a stop to that bullying.

8. Volkova

Jul 25, 2012
    Dudley, UK
    See, I was thinking Wyandotte, they certainly look pretty and hardy, especially the laced ones. However, I haven't heard much about them from others in my area and they are quite rare. From this site, the reviews tell me they are quite aggressive and can attack (especially the roosters, but I'm only planning to get hens!).

But anyway, thanks for the suggestion and vote, I'll keep the Wyandotte in mind before I make my decision. ;)

9. Volkova

Jul 25, 2012
    Dudley, UK
    Wow, great pics! They are really pretty. I really like the hen, she looks amazing. I did some research today, since it's a snow day!, and have found out that Houdans were actually profilic layers in France and were used for meat and egg. I'm starting to warm to them. I will definitely take them into consideration. I love crested birds but I may have to find separate accommodation for them since the pen I'm building is going to a free range, outdoors, mud, grubs and fun area :) I would not dare get Houdans dirty however! Chicken bullying may be problem, but that's natural I suppose. Then again, I may need breeds that can put up with each other quite well. Thanks for the support.

10. aoxa

My houdans free range. The only time their crests get dirty is when they stand out in the rain. They don't dip them in the food/water like polish do.

Mine are great rangers as well. The females should be able to see clearly. The males should be able to see in front and beside them, but have more trouble seeing than the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by